Medel's future at Cardiff has been the subject of conjecture ever since their relegation from the Premier League and the 26-year-old is sure to attract interest after his impressive showings for Chile at the World Cup.

Dalman expects interest in Medel, but is hoping the defensive midfielder will remain at the club to help spearhead their bid for promotion back to the Premier League.

"I thought Gary was magnificent, man of the match against Spain. What he demonstrated yet again is that he is a quality player and one we want to keep at our club.

“I hope that once this tournament is over, he will choose to stick around and help us try to regain our place in the Premier League. I’ve had no indication whatsoever from Gary that he may want to go.

“People may say that Gary is too good for the Championship. But then we’ve got lots of players who are good enough to play in the Premier League.

“I’ve no doubts that after what Gary has been doing in this World Cup, there will be interested parties out there.

“But he is under contract to Cardiff City and sometimes it’s not necessarily about the League you play in, it’s about the club you play for and their ambition.

“We’ve made six summer signings already and have set out our stall to try to regain instant promotion."