SESAR – that was some win.

He couldn’t keep up early, was five lengths behind the second-last horse mid-race, was still chasing the entire field into the straight, hugged the rails and burst through to score comfortably at Royal Randwick Saturday.

But this spectacular effort didn’t come against moderate rivals, it was the Group 2 $300,000 Roman Consul Stakes (1200m) and he proved too good for some highly-rated three-year-olds.

Steve O’Dea, 41, who trains at Eagle Farm in Brisbane, had never had a Sydney winner before. He left Randwick Saturday afternoon with a double including a stakes success after the wins of Doubt Defying and Sesar.

“I’ve been training for 12 years and this would be my best at the races,’’ O’Dea said.

“I had never had a Sydney winner before, I’ve only had a handful of runners here over the years so to come here and have the two half-brothers win on the same day is really satisfying.’’

Sesar ($7.50) finishing powerfully along the rails to spear past a game Sandbar ($3.70) to win by one-and-a-quarter lengths with Spin ($6.50) more than four lengths away third.

It was a dominant win on the line by the Brisbane colt – but O’Dea conceded he wasn’t feeling all that confident mid-race.

“They were hectic early,’’ O’Dea said. “I can’t say I wasn’t worried in the first half of the race when he was off the bridle chasing.

“He was starting to struggle coming to the turn, but the run came on the fence and there was plenty of room there and he went through his gears.

“Usually with those horses off the bridle chasing the whole way they tend to peak on their runs but he has finished off very strongly.

“It really is satisfying to get this colt to come here first up as a three-year-old. He showed so much raw ability last ‘prep’ so for him to go on and do what he’s done today was really pleasing.’’

Sesar was able to run the 1200m in 1m 9.91s despite the heavy track conditions although Collett was also worried that some of his more highly fancied rivals might be too speedy for his colt.

“He was struggling to keep up early, I was riding him along and it wasn’t until about the 600m he got onto the back of them,’’ Collett said.

“I was a bit happier when we got to the turn as we had caught them but I wasn’t sure if I made the right decision going back to the inside. I could see the favourite Sandbar going through and I followed him.

“I had plenty of horse and I knew he was going to be strong late.”

O’Dea, who has 46 boxes at Eagle Farm and has 25 horses from Sesar’s owner Jamie Walter’s Proven Thoroughbreds Sydnicate on his books, said the Roman Consul Stakes winner won’t follow the traditional route and contest the Group 1 Coolmore Stud Stakes (1200m) at Flemington on Derby Day.

“I think he showed today he will definitely be better suited over further,’’ O’Dea said.

“As he is a colt there were thoughts of going to the Coolmore but with the run under his belt he could be run off his legs,

“We will aim him at the Gothic Stakes at Caulfield over 1400m in two weeks and then Carbine Club Stakes at 1600m at Flemington. He will like the big track at Flemington.’’

Jockey Corey Brown gave Sandbar every chance but conceded the favourite was beaten by a superior horse on the day.

“Sandbar ran ‘good’ but again he’s run into one better on the day,’’ Brown said.

“He had a great run, travelled up like he was the winner, but just ran into one better than him.’’

ECOVIS CLARK JACOBS MILE
THIS won’t go down as James McDonald’s best ride but backers of favourite Zourkhan aren’t complaining after his tough win at Royal Randwick yesterday.

Zourkhan was three-wide throughout the Ecovis Clark Jacobs Mile (1600m) but it mattered little as he powered home a decisive winner.

To be fair to McDonald, Sydney’s leading jockey, there was little he could have done differently.

The Chris Waller-trained Zourkhan probably jumped too well, he was a length in front after 30m but McDonald eased back and looked to get in and take a sit.

But rival jockeys weren’t about to do McDonald any favours and Zourkhan was left three-wide without cover.

McDonald did have Zourkhan well-balanced and the gelding was revelling in the heavy going.

Zourkhan ($3.60 favourite) was sent forward by McDonald on the bend to join the leaders before the gelding forged clear to score by one-and-a-quarter lengths from Abdon ($11), giving the Waller stable the quinella. Arraignment ($11) was a long head away third.