LESS than a month after training Santa Ana Lane to win the VRC Sprint Classic, Anthony Freedman claimed Australia’s longest flat race the Jericho Cup (4600m) with High Mode underlying the trainer’s versatility.

High Mode was ridden to victory by Clayton Douglas, who continued his love affair with the Warrnambool track, as in May he claimed the Grand Annual Steeple and Brierly Steeple on Gold Medals.

And garnering almost as much acclaim was the run of the 11-year-old warhorse Crafty Cruiser who finished second.

The inaugural running proved to be a huge success with an estimated 5000 people in attendance.

Freedman’s racing manager Brad Taylor said the Jericho Cup wasn’t on the stable’s radar until one of his part-owners Darren Costigan spotted it and came up with a plan to get him to the race.

“Credit must go to Darren. I was in Hawaii in July and he rang me and said to aim him at the Riverina Cup at Wagga in August and if he won which he did that would qualify him for the Jericho Cup,” Taylor said.

Taylor said High Mode was always going to be an ideal horse for the 4600m race and once it was on his radar he had been trained specifically for it.

“The lead in had all gone to plan. At his last start at The Valley he ran the fastest last 400m and 200m and it’s not his track as he was flat on the corners,” Taylor said.

Douglas said he didn’t panic when The Dominator made a mid-race move to dash clear and strung the field out.

“He’s really good to ride. I can put him anywhere in the run.

They went slow early until The Dominator took off and strung the field out but I wasn’t really worried

“He handled the corner down the bottom of the hill really well and he saved ground.”

Douglas said even at the end of 4600m High Mode was full of running and he quipped he could have gone another lap.

“It was a great training effort by Anthony as he earmarked this a long way out.”

“This prep he’s been working better. Anthony has done a great job. He’s one of the best trainers in the country.”

Taylor said High Mode would be returning to Warrnambool next May to run over the jumps and would be back for next year’s Jericho Cup.

Emily Farr on Crafty Cruiser sat back for most of the race but emerged with 800m and looked a winning chance before the turn but he couldn’t get close to High Mode.

Crafty Cruiser earned $50,000 for finishing second and took his earnings to $998,141.

His trainer Bryce Stanaway is considering setting him for next year’s Jericho Cup although retirement is still a possibility.

High Mode ($8) defeated Crafty Cruiser ($41) by three lengths with two and a half lengths away in third placing Havana Haymaker ($7).