Kurtley Beale is managing a new hairstyle in one hand and a new position in the other.

But the Wallabies playmaker will continue to just "go with the flow", confident he can make both work in his favour.

Beale's shock move to No.10 came at the expense of regular five-eighth Bernard Foley in Saturday's defeat of South Africa in Brisbane.

Returning talent Matt Toomua replaced Beale at inside centre, relegating Foley to the bench for the first time in four years and 51 Tests.

Coach Michael Cheika's shake-up paid off in a 23-18 win at Suncorp Stadium, where Beale's mullet-goatee combination was prominent.

Chuffed with the feedback, Beale has no plans to cut or shave what he described on Monday as an ode to former indigenous rugby league star Cliff Lyons.

"Cliffy Lyons ... one of the greats. I thought I'd kind of run it a bit and it's going all right," he said.

"I'm just going with the flow ... I'm not really a stylish man. I'm just rolling with it."

Whether he remains at five-eighth is less certain but he says between the three talents they will "make it work" regardless.

Former Brumbies playmaker Toomua will be back in Australian rugby with the Melbourne Rebels, from England's Leicester, next season in a boost before next year's World Cup.

Warming into his Wallabies return after a two-year absence, he kicked Australia to victory on Saturday and played with a poise that impressed Beale.

"(Toomua's) a quality player, creating a lot of healthy competition amongst the playmakers, which we haven't had for a while, since Matt Giteau left (in 2016).

"It's keeping everyone on their toes. Once you have that competition we get the best out of each other."

Beale said the win against the Springboks helped ease the pressure on the Wallabies after back-to-back Bledisloe Cup losses had them on the back foot.

A dangerous Argentina side await on the Gold Coast this weekend, where Beale sees a chance for Australia to improve again.

"It was great to win a Test match but ... we're scratching the surface," he said.

"Our forwards laid the platform. Now it's a matter of finishing that good work up front."

The likely return of fullback Israel Folau (ankle) and flanker David Pocock (neck), who were late scratchings to play the Springboks, should help their cause.

So would a dry deck at Robina's Cbus Super Stadium, where Beale is expecting a more free-flowing style of rugby from both sides than the slippery, stunted performance on Saturday.