FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- Not known for his scrambling ability, and often losing yards due to game-ending kneel-downs, New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady finally reached a milestone he has joked about several times this season: 1,000 rushing yards.

Brady hit the mark with a 5-yard scramble in the first quarter of Sunday's 24-10 home win over the Minnesota Vikings.

The Patriots' official Twitter account had some fun in noting Brady's "milestone," as he needed 5 yards entering the game.

Brady's run came on a third-and-3 play, and he slid at the end of it before signaling first down from the ground.

According to ESPN Stats & Information research, the 41-year-old entered play Sunday having lost 160 rushing yards to kneel-downs since 2006, the year plays began being classified as "kneels."

"It's just playing a lot of football," Brady said of reaching 1,000 rushing yards. "And obviously, I'm not a scrambler. But hopefully I can make a couple plays. Running for it, made a good third down on that one, and I just give a lot of credit to the offensive line. They blocked their tails off today against a good front. And I don't want to make too much of a 4- or 5-yard gain. That wasn't really a difference in the game."

Patriots coach Bill Belichick, like Brady, had little interest in noting the milestone.

"That's really important to us," he said sarcastically as his postgame news conference ended.

The 1,000-yard rushing mark wasn't the only milestone for Brady on Sunday.

Brady threw his 508th regular-season touchdown pass -- a 24-yard connection to Josh Gordon in the third quarter -- tying him with Brett Favre for third all time. Including playoffs, that is 579 touchdowns for Brady, which ties him with Peyton Manning for most all time.