TEN months after leaving Melbourne City Tim Cahill is back in the A-League — though not in the flesh.

The recently retired Socceroos great has joined former Matilda Amy Duggan as the faces of a joint A-League and W-League advertising campaign designed to reinvigorate the domestic game and improve its fan base during a period of uncertainty.

The pair play ‘hero scouts’ in this season’s ‘Where Heroes Are Made’ campaign, tasked with scouring footage and identifying the biggest stars to watch. And while it’s tough to top the Yoshi ‘You’ve Gotta Have a Team’ campaign of two years ago, Cahill was hopeful his involvement might help spike crowds, TV audiences and club memberships just like the 10-year-old who came before him.

“For me, more than anything, it’s just about being involved,” Cahill said.

“Working with clubs and FFA, if need be, to be more someone who can help.

“Being a neutral, not playing for any A-League team or being involved in any A-League bid, it’s nice that I can just be a fan of Australian sport and get to do this amazing advert.

“For the first time I can be a fan and maybe talk about the game not as a player but as a pundit, and have open views on the A-League and the style of play and what’s happening in the league.

“It opens up a whole new world that I can speak to every club. A lot of the managers are friends … I’m always open to giving advice if they need it or speaking to the younger players, like a lot of the Socceroos players.”

The 38-year-old, who’s in the midst of the Indian Super League pre-season with Jamshedpur FC and will return to Sydney for his international farewell against Lebanon at ANZ Stadium next month, felt a landmark move was the coupling of the men’s and women’s league launches.

The W-League starts on October 25 — one week after the A-League on October 19.

“For me it’s a nice campaign to be a part of because of the focus it put not only on the men’s but also the women’s, which I feel is a big factor in Australian sport,” he said.

“The biggest factor is how well our Matildas are doing. They’re a great example of women’s sport and how the growth has really come about.

“The attention the girls have now, and also the level they’re playing at, deserves this attention.”

It’s the centre of Football Federation Australia’s efforts to lift the leagues out of the last stale season and into a new era with strong foreign signings and expansion on the horizon.

Numerous measures will endeavour to improve the experience for fans, including re-engagement with active supporter groups and the relaxation of restrictions on chants and banners, along with the trialling of safe smoke.

The suggested introduction of in-game music during corners, goal kicks and substitutions has been parked amid heavy backlash from players, clubs and fans.

At club level, ticket and membership offers are appealing to kids and their families, a long-successful initiative in the NRL and AFL.

Brisbane Roar have launched their free Roar Rascals membership, which offers registered juniors under-11 a free family pass to an A-League home game.

Sydney FC offer similar through their Junior Blues program, while Western Sydney have 14,000 signed up to their Wanderkid membership, under which juniors get a free family pass to the Wanderers’ first home game plus a free ticket to the Sydney derby.