TIGER Woods, in only his fourth start since returning from a long-term injury layoff, is in a tie for second place at the half-way point of the PGA Tour event in Florida.

Woods, who underwent spinal fusion surgery last April, shot a three-under-par 68 to be four under and two strokes behind leader and tour rookie Corey Conners after the second round at the Innisbrook Resort.

Adam Scott slid out of the top 10 with three back-nine bogeys in a round of 73. He safely made the cut at one over, along with a trio of fellow Australians. Cameron Smith (72), Aaron Baddeley (71) and Rod Pampling (71) are all alongside Scott in a tie for 38th.

Woods temporarily put his name on the top of leaderboard, for the first time since August 2015, to the delight of the big galleries.

The 14-time major winner made four birdies, got a few good bounces and kept a clean card on the Copperhead course until his final hole, the par-4 ninth, when he made bogey.

“I’m up there,” Woods told PGATour.com.

“I keep getting a little bit better, here and there, making little subtle tweaks.

““I’ve done that from tournament to tournament.” Paul Casey and Brandt Snedeker had rounds of 68, while Ryan Palmer had a 66 to join Woods as Conners’ nearest challengers.

The 26-year-old Canadian, who started the week as an alternate for the tournament, backed up his opening 67 with a 69.

His only blemish was a double bogey on the par-3 fourth - his 13th hole of Friday.

Five months ago, Woods didn’t have the clearance to begin hitting full shots. Now less than a month out from the Masters, he looks like a contender. “I just need to get a little tournament time in and I think I’ve done that,” Woods said.

“I’m starting to get a better feel for it.

“I’m finding the rhythm of the round. I’m hitting shots.

“I don’t have trouble posting scores.” The tournament lost two of its biggest draws when world No.4 Jordan Spieth (71) and four-time major champion Rory McIlroy (73) missed the cut, both at five over.