It was an historic day in Flushing Meadows on Sunday, as Novak Djokovic beat Juan Martin del Potro for his 14th Grand Slam title, tying him with Pete Sampras for third place on the all-time list.

But beyond all the history—and perhaps lost in all the discussion of the Serena Williams-Carlos Ramos controversy from Saturday—were some incredible match stats from the former, and likely future, world No. 1.

DJOKOVIC HAD ONE MORE WINNER—AND NINE FEWER UNFORCED ERRORS—THAN DEL POTRO IN THE FINAL.
Del Potro is known as one of the biggest hitters on the ATP tour, but Djokovic hit one more winner than him in Sunday’s final, 32 to 31. The Serb’s winners were fairly distributed between both wings, and he came into net more than twice as often as del Potro: Djokovic won 28 of 37 points when he approached the net; the Argentine won 12 of his 17 points at net.

Djokovic also had far fewer unforced errors in the match—38 to Del Potro’s 47—and the Argentine’s favorite shot, his forehand, produced almost twice as many unforced errors as winners, 30 to 16.

“I took the risk with my forehands,” Del Potro said. “I did it all match. Sometimes it went in, sometimes I missed it. But that’s the only way to beat these kinds of players. You have to play a perfect game for more than three hours. But my mistakes were because of Novak’s level—he was playing really well.”

DJOKOVIC RAISED HIS LEVEL ON BREAK POINTS—NOT JUST IN THE FINAL, BUT THROUGHOUT THE TOURNAMENT.
Djokovic fought off four of the six break points he faced during the final, and though del Potro broke him twice, he was actually never down a break of serve in the match. The two times Djokovic lost his serve came right after he broke del Potro, early in the both the second and third sets.

“I had my opportunities,” Del Potro said. “But I was playing almost at the limit all the time, looking for winners with my forehands, backhands, and I couldn’t make it because Novak was there every time.”

Djokovic was never broken more than twice in a match the entire tournament—he held serve in an incredible 100 of his 107 service games in his seven matches. Meanwhile, he broke serve 35 times.

THE FORMER NO. 1 WILL NOW MOVE BACK UP TO NO. 3, AND WILL LIKELY GO HIGHER.
Djokovic’s third US Open and 14th Grand Slam title pushed him from No. 6 to No. 3 on the new ATP World Tour Rankings, with Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer still holding onto spots No. 1 and No. 2.

And with absolutely zero points to defend the rest of the year—he missed all post-Wimbledon events last year due to an elbow injury—Djokovic could be in the hunt for No.1 in the months to come.