Yasir Shah struck two boundaries to move to 94 and then spent 17 nervy deliveries before leaping in joy for having crossed the landmark. © AFP

Fairy tales aren't always straightforward. There are twists and bumps, and you need the luck for it to go your way. On Sunday (December 1), Yasir Shah got his maiden Test ton - 113 off 213 - as Pakistan's lower order fought hard before the visitors were asked to follow on by Australia. Pakistan ended the day on 39 for 3 - still 248 away from making Australia bat - but the day belonged to the leg spinner.

Yasir's century was a combination of grit, determination and some adventure. But he also found a generous opposition in Australia, who gave him three reprieves - when he was on on 35, 43 and on 106.

"When we were on our way to the ground in the morning, I had this thought in my mind that I will bat throughout the day," Yasir said. "And if I bat throughout the day, I will make a century. That was exactly what I was talking to my friends Naseem Shah and Muhammad Musa about this morning. Then, I went to the nets and batted, and kept thinking about batting throughout the day.

"I tried my best to make sure I spend a lot of time at the crease. When you do that, you get set and you find batting becomes easier. It's tough against this world-class Australian bowling attack, and to score a century against them was good."

Yasir struck two boundaries to move to 94 and then spent 17 nervy deliveries before leaping in joy for having crossed the landmark. He was nearly dismissed on 99 when he chipped a Josh Hazlewood delivery just over Pat Cummins at mid-on to complete the single. "I was so excited and happy," he gushed. "It's a dream to score a century in Adelaide and on an Australian tour. At that point, I wasn't aware of what I was doing really but I know I jumped in the air and swung my bat around. And I enjoyed it a lot. It was great fun."

Yasir also lauded David Warner, who scored an unbeaten 335 to put Australia in a dominant position. The legspinner leaked 197 runs from his 32 overs and failed to pick a wicket as his poor returns in Australia continued to trouble him.

"I was trying to perform at my best even the last time I came here," Yasir pointed out. "It's every spinner's wish to do well in Australia because that raises your image and profile. I've put in a lot of hard work. The last time I bowled too fast. And I was bowling at a faster pace than what I wanted to here, too, and I didn't use my variations well.

"David Warner played really well to score a triple-ton. He didn't let me settle and get my lines and lengths. And, at times, he even scored runs of our good balls. And he's too good a batsman to miss out on our bad balls."