Rahul Dravid is keen that youngsters get thorough education on social leanings © Getty

The Supreme Court-appointed Committee of Administrators (CoA) is bringing into effect a behavioural counselling programme for cricketers at all age levels, and the process is merely in line with what has been in practice at the National Cricket Academy (NCA) in Bengaluru under the watchful eyes of India's junior national coach and former captain Rahul Dravid.

In focus now, yet again, due to the controversy surrounding Hardik Pandya and KL Rahul's television show with filmmaker Karan Johar, the board now intends to include all age-group teams at the national level, including the 'A' squads in similar programmes. Those in the know of things say 'teams from all age groups will have to attend these programmes'.

Having been involved in these programmes after coming on board as the Under-19 coach, Dravid - who set a very high benchmark for himself as a cricketer and is keen that youngsters get thorough education on social leanings - spoke to TOI. "It's important to switch off and relax off the field and it's a wrong notion that I didn't have fun (laughs)," he says. "It's not that I've not enjoyed myself or gone out. But when you represent your country and people recognise you, fortunately or unfortunately, there are responsibilities that come with that recognition. So you've got to lay down those rules for yourself."

It's tougher on youngsters today who have to deal with social media - benefit from the positives that come with it but also live with the negatives that tag along. "I grew up in an era when it was (social media) not around. For me, it's not been an issue. I think it's a question of how responsibly you use it. You're not going to be able to stop people from doing the stuff they want. Just be responsible and ask yourself if it's helping you professionally. You'll get the answer."

Dravid is very clear on where he stands on the social media debate. "Social media helps amplify your achievements and takes it to larger audiences. So does it amplify the pitfalls. So, you've got to choose wisely."

The narrative, in the present context, draws from how Pandya and Rahul were left to deal with the wrath of social and mainstream media after their comments on the show Koffee With Karan. Here's where, Dravid believes, education plays a crucial role and education, he says, is "not about getting a degree."

"You can get yourself a degree and still not learn anything. You may not have a degree in life, and yet you can learn so much. Education should not be equated with degrees. It should be equated with learning, observation, understanding what's good and what's bad. Curiosity doesn't require a degree," says the former India captain.

Speaking of the responsibilities he's undertaken at the NCA, Dravid says things have been monitored at the U-19 level over the last couple of World Cups. "We've had some sessions for the boys with media professionals on how to handle the media and the challenges that come with it. We have used psychologists to come and talk on and off the field subjects. Roles and responsibilities that come along as you become public figures are important to understand. We've also briefly touched upon things like financial planning," he says.