Kevin Sumlin is out at Texas A&M.

The Aggies coach on Sunday was relieved of all duties effective immediately after six seasons with the team, the school announced. Florida State's Jimbo Fisher is the favorite to replace Sumlin and reportedly has an agreement in place to become Texas A&M's head coach, according to KPRC-TV.

The move comes less than a day after Texas A&M ended its regular season with a 45-21 loss to LSU to fall to 7-5 on the year. The school will honor the terms of his contract and pay Sumlin a $10.4 million buyout.

"Kevin's tenure included some remarkable achievements and he leaves our program as one of the winningest football coaches in our storied history," director of athletics Scott Woodward said in a statement. "Kevin made us a better all-around football program and led our program with dignity and character. He's a first-class person."

"Our expectations at A&M are very high. We believe that we should compete for SEC championships on an annual basis and, at times, national championships. I believe that we need a new coach to take us there. On behalf of Aggies everywhere, my thanks to Kevin and his family for his service to Texas A&M. I wish him the very best."

While the school begins its quest for a replacement, assistant coach Jeff Banks will serve as interim head coach for its bowl game.

"My job is to hire the person who is the right fit to lead our football program," Woodward said. "Obviously, our search will be quiet so the next time you'll hear from me is when I'm introducing the new head football coach."

Sumlin, 53, finished his tenure with a 51-26 record that included a 25-23 record in SEC play. He boasts the second-best winning percentage (.662) in the modern era of Texas A&M football.