TONGAN forward Tevita Pangai Jr has been replaced on report for appearing to kick Valentine Holmes in the act of scoring, giving Australia a possible eight point try.

Holmes crashed over for the Kangaroos’ fifth try in the 39th minute, with Pangai Jr’s boot appearing to come in contact with Holmes’ head.

It may have been a tough call and it remains to be seen if the contact was intentional, but Australia were given the chance to kick two conversions.

It’s cricket like never before. Every Australia home Test, ODI, T20I Match LIVE and ad-break free. SIGN UP TODAY!
Holmes missed the first conversion from the sideline, but was awarded a second opportunity in front of the post and made no mistake.

The decision helped give Australia a commanding 30-10 halftime lead against a spirited Tongan side in front of a packed house of predominantly Tongan supporters.

Commentator Darryl Halligan thought the decision may have been a little harsh.

“I know there is minimal contact, but it is not necessarily intentional and I’m not sure it is an eight point try,” Halligan said.

It was a disappointing end to an excellent half from Pangai Jr, who scored Tonga’s first ever try against Australia, before setting up their second with a miracle flick pass.