Teliana Pereira ended a 26-year wait for a Brazilian winner on the WTA Tour with victory in the final of the Claro Open Colsanitas in Bogota.

The 26-year-old Pereira became the first Brazilian woman to win on tour since Neige Dias in Barcelona in April 1988 when she defeated fifth-seed Yaroslava Shvedova of Kazakhstan 7-6 6-1.

Pereira, ranked 130 in the world, also beat fourth-seeded Francesca Schiavone and top-seed Elina Svitolina en route to the final in the clay-court event at Club Campestre el Rancho.

She battled back from 4-2 down in the opening set to force a tie-break, by when she was in top form and cruised through it for the loss of only a couple of points.

The pattern of Pereira dominance continued in the second set, with Shvedova's game falling apart as she was broken twice on the way to defeat.

"This has been the best week of my life," Pereira said. "When I was training, I always dreamt of winning a WTA championship, and now I've done it.

"Playing the Medellín challenger before this was very important to me because there was a little altitude there, too, and that helped me get ready for the conditions here.

"I felt very solid all week and I'm so happy to win my first WTA title here in Bogota."

There was also success for Brazil in the doubles event, Paula Cristina Goncalves and Beatriz Haddad Maia beating American pairing Irina Falconi and Shelby Rogers 6-3 3-6 10-6 in a thrilling super set finale.