Rovaniemi Palloseura have confirmed the signing of Taye Taiwo on a one-year deal.

The Nigeria international who played for Finnish club HJK Helsinki in the 2015 and 2016 seasons, has teamed up with the Keskuskentta outfit ahead of the commencement of the 2018 Veikkausliiga campaign that starts on April 7.

After departing the Finnish top-flight in January 2017, the former Marseille left-back joined Swiss Super League side Lausanne as a free agent that saw him garnered just 13 league appearances before the end of the 2016-17 season.
In search for continuous playing time, Taiwo joined Swedish outfit AFC Eskilstuna on a free transfer in August 2017 where he was limited to just nine league games.

Rovaniemi Palloseura head coach Toni Kosela hailed the qualities of the former Lobi Stars and AC Milan defender and described him as a great addition to his squad.

“Taye is a clear leader and winner of the field,” Koskela told club website.

“He is a very physical player and a good football player. Taye has a strong left foot shot, so he will be an excellent match for our special situations as well.”

Taiwo who has enjoyed a nomadic career across top European leagues - English Premier League, Serie A, French Ligue 1, Ukrainian Premier League - is hoping to bring his experience in RoPS quest for league glory.

“I was motivated by work. This is also a real dream job to be a soccer player,” Taiwo noted.

“You can never know which country you are going to find the next day, and now I can bring my expertise to the Rovaniemi Palloseura.
“I've already learned that in every match you cannot always win, but in each match you can give everything.

“In the field, I do not like it if the opponent can play. I do not want to give them pleasure they can control, but Iwant to be the one who plays and controls.”

The 2006 Caf Young Player of the Year could make his debut for Rovaniemi Palloseura when they visit Kuopion Palloseura for Saturday’s Finnish Cup game