NOT for the first time, Tai Tuivasa is throwing punches in a carpark.

Out west, too.

Specifically, 60km from the downtown Chicago hotel where every UFC fighter is supposed to be staying this week.

But Tuivasa, he isn’t every UFC fighter.

Just as he is no longer that same Mt Druitt houso who, back in the day, could find himself in up to five streetfights a weekend.

“But places like this,” the heavyweight says later, drinking from a giant bottle of water, “I love ‘em.”

And by ‘places like this’, Tuivasa means a two-storey Marriott hotel located so far from the official UFC accommodation, the Uber driver set to earn our $120 fare warns “out here, you’re actually closer to Wisconsin than Chicago”.

But when Tuivasa invites you to spend the day, you go.

Especially this week, on the eve of his UFC 225 blockbuster against heavyweight legend Andrei Arlovski.

Which is why The Daily Telegraph has travelled 90 minutes to West Dundee — an irony not lost on Tuivasa, a proud Sydney westie — to find the undefeated slugger training in a hotel carpark with his small crew of family, mates and Finnish sparring partner.

Officially, all UFC fighters are meant to bunk down in the heart of Chicago, with every athlete given two rooms at the $600/night Downtown Marriott.

Situated on the city’s famed Magnificent Mile, the five-star hotel is surrounded by a collection of stores like Burberry, Prada and Boss.

But Tuivasa?

No, he has spent the past week bunkered down in a joint where the rooms cost $120 a night. And the gym so small, well, his training takes place beside an old shipping container. And behind a gas station.

Which for this overnight UFC cult figure, works.

Tuivasa not only avoiding the hustle and bustle of a fight hotel, but also ensuring he can accommodate a crew not only boasting trainer Steve Ashby, but dad John, a former Kings Cross bouncer, and older brothers Logan and Steven.

“Being here, it feels like I’m home,” Tuivasa explains. “Makes me feel normal.

“I’m so happy to have these guys around me. I’m also really happy that my family, they can be here with me experiencing this.

“Because you know us, know where we come from.

“Without fighting we would’ve never experienced anything like this.”

Also bunked down at Camp Tuivasa is Glenn Sparv, a Finnish sparring partner who resembles the best of Arlovski, right down to his flowing mullet. And coach Frank Hickman, who works out of the Tiger Muay Thai gym in Thailand.

All of them now with shirts off. Music blaring.

And Tuivasa throwing bombs in a carpark.

Home.

THE CULT OF TAI “BAM BAM” TUIVASA
UNKNOWN a year ago, Tai Tuivasa now boasts the most popular T-shirt in the UFC range.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal the Reebok ‘Shoeyvasa’ shirt — which features the Australian heavyweight skolling bourbon from the shoe of a stranger — is currently selling quicker Stateside than those of any other fighter.

Despite boasting only two Octagon appearances, the Sydney slugger has also emerged as something of a fan favourite during fight week for UFC 225 — featuring heavily on the official UFC vlog series, Embedded.

The former Sydney Roosters prop was also the centre of attention at a Thursday media day, with popular American MMA journalist Ariel Helwani even asking the puncher about possibly drinking water from his shoe.

“Water?” Tuivasa replied. “Bruv, that’s disrespectful. Disrespectful to Australian culture”.

Earlier, an equally intrigued Brazilian journalist — his opening question was “now Tai, this Shoey thing …” — had also asked if the undefeated puncher owned the bizarre celebration.

“Nah, I don’t own it,” he smiled. “Australia owns it.

“I just like to drink it.”

Yet despite the grog gags, Tuivasa has never looked in better physical shape before a fight and revealed last night, some 24 hours out from weigh ins, that he was already down to the 120kg limit.

Before arriving in Chicago this week, the Australian had spent seven weeks at Thailand’s famed Tiger Muay Thai gym under the watchful eye of head coach Steve Ashby.

“Tai is on weight now,” Ashby said. “This is the best weight cut he’s ever done.

“There has been no time in the sauna at all.

“His body is adapting better and better with every fight. He also walks around now at 135kg.

“That’s a lot different to when he used to walk around at about 158kg.”

While Tuivasa is set for the biggest challenge of his career against UFC legend Andrei Arlovski, Ashby insisted his fighter could continue his run of seven consecutive first round KOs.

“Of course he can,” the coach said. “But we’re not stupid either.

“We know we have to be ready to go three rounds, five minutes a round, right up until the last second. And we’ve always prepared like that.”