ANDREW Gaff hopes to work out a new deal with West Coast, but the in-demand restricted free agent says his No.1 focus is on helping the Eagles' premiership push.

Speaking for the first time since returning to Perth nearly two weeks ago, Gaff confirmed North Melbourne is one of the clubs keen to lure him home to Victoria.

The 26-year-old has had plenty to consider since his season-ending suspension and father Paul's recent heart scare, but hoped to remain an Eagle beyond 2018.

"Yeah, I hope so. It's still something we're working through with my management and the club," Gaff told radio station Mix 94.5.

"With what's happened, there's sort of more stuff to think about, which we'll continue to do over the next few weeks.

"With the team playing finals, that's the priority.

"As I said to them when I got back to Perth, I'm so committed to what the boys have in front of them for the rest of the year, I'm focused on that."

Gaff spent nearly a month in Victoria after fronting the AFL Tribunal and copping an eight-week suspension for his hit on Fremantle youngster Andy Brayshaw in the round 20 Western Derby.

Speculation has been rife the incident could influence the 26-year-old's decision, but Gaff didn't want that to be the case.

"I think it's got to be an independent thing, but no doubt it's the elephant in the room and something that's going to come up," he said.

"It's something that is hard to avoid.

"But I think it's got to be more than just a reaction to what's happened."

Gaff has been back training with the Eagles after his return to Perth was thrown into doubt when his father underwent surgery for a serious heart condition.

"He's in a rehab hospital at the moment and he's going to be there for another couple of weeks," Gaff said.

"When you don't move for four or five weeks you've got to learn to do these things again and to get fitter and stronger again.

"I'm happy to see that he's getting better and he'll be good in a couple of weeks' time.

"Once he's back home we've got to change a few things around the house, but he's in a good space now and it's a good thing for the family."

While Gaff's playing future remains in the balance, fellow restricted free agent Scott Lycett is also yet to recommit beyond this year amid reports he wants to join Port Adelaide at season's end.

The Eagles have most of their other key players locked away beyond this season, although Mark LeCras' future is unclear with the veteran forward leaving a decision until after the finals campaign.

AFL.com.au understands valuable run-with midfielder Mark Hutchings has activated a trigger clause for 2019, although a longer term deal with the club appears likely after consolidating his position in 18 games this year.