Stuart Broad was "very disappointed" to be left out of the first Test against Windies

Stuart Broad suggested he is bowling "the best he's ever bowled" after he was left out of England's team for the first Test against Windies

The seamer watched on as the tourists slumped to a 381-run defeat in Barbados to go 1-0 down in the three-match series.

Broad has taken 433 wickets in 124 Tests but was omitted from the side as England opted for two spinners in Moeen Ali and Adil Rashid, as well as selecting left-arm swing bowler Sam Curran to join James Anderson and Ben Stokes in their pace attack.

Writing in his column for the Mail Online, Broad said: "Naturally I was very disappointed to be sat on the sidelines this week as you would expect any player to be when not selected for a Test match.

"From a personal point of view I would have loved to have a bowl on this Kensington Oval pitch - it looks like it's suited to the taller, faster bowlers.

"Another source of frustration is that I'm bowling the best I've ever bowled. I believe that 100 per cent. Everyone in this England group knows it too."

It had been suggested that Broad's height would have been suited to bowling on the uneven surface in Barbados, even if England's collapse in the first innings - where they were bowled out for 77 runs - ultimately sealed their fate.

Joe Root decided against selecting Stuart Broad for the first Test despite his impressive form in the warm-up game
Joe Root decided against selecting Stuart Broad for the first Test despite his impressive form in the warm-up game
Broad, who took a hat-trick and four wickets in five balls in a warm-up game, suggested he was feeling confident in his performances leading up to the first Test, but says he will not dwell on the decision to leave him out.

"There is no point in sulking around the place, because you need to prepare for your next opportunity," he added.

"Selection didn't go my way in this particular Test match but let's not forget it didn't go the way of the other bowlers Chris Woakes, Jack Leach and Mark Wood either.

"Particularly on tour you have a responsibility to drag nothing away from the group that have a job to do on the field. I felt I kept my disappointment in my own mind and intend to use it as a motivator to get myself ready for the next opportunity."

Joe Root says he will not shy away from finding inventive ways to win away from home despite admitting England's team selection for the first Test did not pay off
England captain Joe Root suggested after the match that he may have got the selection wrong, but insisted that doesn't defend his side's performance.

Watch day one of the second Test between Windies and England, in Antigua, live on Sky Sports Cricket and Main Event from 1.30pm on Thursday.