The 36-year-old Steyn, who recently retired from the Test format, was not included in the Quinton de Kock-led 15-man squad despite the speedster declaring himself available for the white-ball leg of the tour. Getty

Cricket South Africa acting director Corrie van Zyl said Dale Steyn was not medically ready to be considered for selection to the forthcoming T20I series on the tour of India. The 36-year-old Steyn, who recently retired from the Test format, was not included in the Quinton de Kock-led 15-man squad for the games in Dharamsala, Mohali and Bengaluru despite the speedster declaring himself available for the white-ball leg of the tour.

Responding to a Tweet about all-rounder Chris Morris making himself unavailable for selection, Steyn cheekily responded: "I did ... Obviously lost my number in the reshuffling of coaching staff."

In an interview with Sport24, van Zyl confirmed that the non-selection was on medical grounds. "Steyn is not yet medically ready and our information makes that very clear," he said on Wednesday (August 14). Steyn picked up a shoulder injury during a short stint at the 2019 IPL with Royal Challengers Bangalore, which sidelined him from the subsequent World Cup, an injury he assumed having overcome while making himself available for the India T20Is.

Steyn is one of three players on the injury table. Vernon Philander (hamstring) and Theunis de Bruyn (back), both of whom were named in the squads for the India tour starting September 15, are battling niggles but are expected to regain full fitness in time. "Both are on track, but they will have to play one match before the tour to prove that they are fully fit," Van Zyl said.

Doors not shut on Morris

The CSA acting director also confirmed Chris Morris will be considered for future South African teams once a new central contract is furnished for the all-rounder. Morris was not picked in the T20I squad despite an impressive showing with the ball in the 2019 World Cup (13 wickets at 26.23). The 32-year-old made himself unavailable for the India tour, having accepted a County deal with Hampshire after his central contract expired at the end of the World Cup.

"It is well known that Chris' national contract was not renewed beyond the World Cup," van Zyl explained to Sport24. "Then, following his super performance at the World Cup, negotiations began on awarding him a new national contract but by then he had already made other commitments. It absolutely does not mean that the door is closed, and we will start negotiations on a new contract again after the tour. He still wants to play cricket for South Africa," van Zyl said.