A strained right pectoral muscle will land Diamondbacks outfielder Steven Souza Jr. on the disabled list to start the season, manager Torey Lovullo said Thursday.

“We’re going to give this injury time to define itself,” Lovullo said (via azcentral.com), adding Souza will be held out of the lineup for “a couple of weeks, at least.”

Souza, 28, suffered the injury diving for a ball Wednesday against the Giants. He said the diagnosis was a Grade 1 strain “with a little bit of Grade 2 in there.”

"After last night, I was obviously in a little bit of pain," Souza said Thursday. "You never know what to think in those situations. But after this morning, I got some good news that I won’t be down too long."

Lovullo said Souza apologized for getting hurt, which surprised him.

"I told him, ‘Don’t ever do that again. You were doing what you know, you were doing what you do best. It’s the reason why you came here, why we were trying to get you here. That’s all you know, and we love that. So please don’t apologize to me,’” Lovullo said.

Souza, who slashed .239/.352/.459 with 30 home runs and 78 RBIs for the Rays in 2017, was acquired in February as part of a deal that sent Brandon Drury to the Yankees and Anthony Banda to the Rays