The England winger netted three goals to lead City to a crucial win, but there was some doubt over the legality of his opening strike

Raheem Sterling conceded Manchester City got lucky with his controversial first goal in the 3-1 Premier League win over Watford.

Sterling went on to complete a quickfire hat-trick to take the game away from Watford and stretch City's advantage over Liverpool at the top of the Premier League table to four points.

But the England winger's opener provided a major talking point after he was initially flagged offside, only for the officials to award the goal on account of Watford defender Daryl Janmaat playing the ball into Sterling's shin before it ricocheted into the net.

Editors' Picks
'Police commissioner' Pique making Coutinho's dire Barcelona form look criminal
Watch out, Van Dijk! Sublime Sterling staking claim for Player of the Year
Are Liverpool bottling it? Why it’s a myth that Klopp's men are throwing away title
Giggs: I hope Solskjaer gets the Manchester United manager's job
"The first half was very difficult. It was hard to break them down," he told BT Sport.

"In the second half thing opened up a bit. We had some luck with the first one and then we had a few more chances that we took really well.

"In the first half they were really compact. We knew we only had 45 minutes left and we knew we had to go for it and be more aggressive. That's what we did."

Asked specifically for his views on the opening goal, Sterling added: "I don't know exactly what it was, but I was praying and hoping that they'd give it to us.

"We got that slight fortune and we deserved [the win]."

Sterling moved on to 15 Premier League goals this season, the fruits of hard work on the training ground.

Manchester City

@manCity
He was just too good today!

🔥 @Sure
🔵 3-1 🐝 #MCIWAT #mancity

1:29 AM - Mar 10, 2019
193 people are talking about this
Twitter Ads info and privacy
"Every year I want to improve. This year's no different. I'm not just trying to score goals but want to help the team as well," the 24-year-old said, before refusing to be drawn on the balance of power between his old club and current one in the title race, with Liverpool hosting Burnley on Sunday.

"To be honest we just take it a game at a time. We know we've got strong contenders. We've done our part and we recover and go again.

"Today was really difficult and it will be a difficult run in."

Article continues below

Ben Foster

@benFoster
Anyone know if that 1st goal was offside?🤔

1:43 AM - Mar 10, 2019
Twitter Ads info and privacy
922 people are talking about this
Watford goalkeeper Ben Foster posted on Twitter to mock the decision to award Sterling's goal, while his boss Javi Gracia was in tongue-biting mode in his own post-match interview.

"I think we played very good in the first half – defensively perfect, collectively doing a very good performance," said the Spaniard.

"I think everybody has seen what happened. I never criticise the referees and I'm not going to do it today. [Sterling's] position and influence, I think is clear."