England's Chris Paisley enlisted his wife as caddie - then claimed the first European Tour win of his career at the South African Open in Johannesburg.

The 31-year-old world number 289 had six birdies in a six-under final round of 66 to finish three shots clear of South Africa's Branden Grace.

With Paisley's regular caddie on holiday, his wife Keri stepped in.

"She never put a foot wrong. It's the first time she has ever caddied and I just can't thank her enough," he said.

"My regular caddie is getting some stick but I just can't say enough about how good of a job she has done this week and just in life in general."

Grace's chances effectively disappeared when he found water off the tee on the 12th.

The world number 30 - the highest-ranked player in the field - recovered with an eagle from three feet on the par-five 13th, but Paisley birdied the same hole and also matched Grace's birdie on the 15th.

Paisley's win will see him climb to a career-high ranking just outside the top 120.

"I just can't believe it," Paisley said. "I played out of my skin. I didn't think I was capable of playing that well to be honest."