Steve Smith is set to front the media in Australia for the first time tomorrow since his emotional press conference in the days following the events in Cape Town.

Smith will speak at 2:45pm at the Sydney Cricket Ground and then train with the Sydney Sixers ahead of their clash with Perth Scorchers on Saturday.

The 29-year-old was banned from Australian domestic and international cricket for 12 months for his involvement for the ball-tampering incident at Newlands in March.

He has since played T20 tournaments in Canada and the Caribbean, and it was in the North American country that Smith first spoke to the media following that tearful airport press conference in Sydney.

Smith addressed a small gathering of local and foreign press in Toronto while the Australia ODI team was in the middle of a 0-5 whitewash at the hands of arch-rivals England.

"I’ve been up and down with my emotions if I’m being honest," he said.

"I’ve had times particularly watching the boys play in England and not play well as they could have … where it was hurting me that I couldn’t’ go out and help them.

"When they hopped on the plane over there I had some emotions that were a bit down."

Since returning to Australia, Smith has been playing NSW Premier Cricket for Sutherland, who he captained to the NSW Premier T20 championship on Sunday at the SCG.

It was the first time since he was suspended that Smith played on a major international venue in Australia and captained a side, after he was banned for two years from holding a leadership position in Australian domestic and international cricket.

Meanwhile, Smith's participation in next month's Bangladesh Premier League has become clouded after reports suggest the Australian has been blocked from playing in the T20 tournament due to a violation of the competition's by-laws.

Reports out of Bangladesh say Smith's signing with the Comilla Victorians as a replacement for Asela Gunaratne has upset the other six franchises because he was not picked from the pool of players who were in the draft in October.

But Smith's profile was too irresistible to ignore for the BPL, who appear to have bent the laws to sign the former Australia captain while he serves his suspension.

Earlier this month, a meeting was staged between the BPL governing council and the seven franchises where the issue of Smith's eligibility was raised.

Unable to come to a resolution, the matter was raised to the BCB, who has reportedly denied Smith's participation.

"We thought a world-class player like Smith would add spark to the tournament," said Jalal Younus, chairman of the BPL technical committee, this month.

"The BPL’s image would also be enhanced in the international arena.

"But representatives of the seven franchises sat for a meeting after the opposition was voiced regarding his (Smith) inclusion.

"After the opposition was raised, the situation has turned complicated.

"The technical committee provided the franchises the opportunity of a further addition of a player outside the draft.

"But since most of the franchises did not agree to this, the issue was forwarded to the board. Now the board will have the final say on the Smith issue."

Smith was set to arrive in Bangladesh in mid-January four matches into the tournament once Pakistan allrounder Shoaib Malik leaves to link up with the national team.