He burst onto the scene with an eye-catching four-wicket haul during KFC BBL|07 with the Sydney Sixers, but Daniel Sams says he's done enough to earn allrounder status after he tormented his former side with both bat and ball in the Thunder's nervy Christmas Eve derby win.

A little over a year since his T20 debut at Spotless Stadium, Sams evoked memories of his magical debut with three clutch wickets at the same venue, but it was his brutal knock of 28 off just 11 deliveries that stole the show in the first innings.

The 26-year-old blasted his first two balls to the fence and then launched Sean Abbott for consecutive sixes in the following over before he was eventually dismissed by a freakish one-handed grab by a flying Josh Phillipe.

The knock came just three days after his whirlwind 34 against the Melbourne Stars; a far cry from the player who managed a solitary run for the Sixers during last year's campaign.

"I'd definitely classify myself as an allrounder. I'm enjoying having some responsibility at the Thunder and trying to clear the fence," the big-hitting Sams told cricket.com.au.

"I've always been an allrounder. Generally how it happens throughout my career is I'd get into a team as a bowler and then have to earn my stripes as a batter. This kind of format, batting-wise, suits the way I like to bat.

"Basically my role is to come out and back my power and basically try to clear the fence and do my job with the ball.

"I'm enjoying being up the order – batting number six. Getting a bit more of an opportunity at the Thunder, I'm able to express myself and use my skills."

The Sixers learnt the hard way that they'd let go of a star on the rise, but Sams' form should come as no surprise given his equally-destructive exploits throughout the JLT Cup.

The left-arm quick starred for New South Wales against Western Australia on debut, snaring three wickets and hitting a classy 62, and backed up that performance with a destructive 56 (36) against Victoria which included five towering sixes.

That stint in the 50-over competition was the confidence boost he needed heading into the Big Bash and confirmed his potential with bat in hand.

"One of my goals at the start of the season was to try to get into the JLT team," he continued.

"Obviously I was lucky enough to do that, and I found myself in some hard positions with the bat and I was able to get some runs and prove to myself that I can hold the bat. That was great preparation for these games."

The Thunder have had their fair share of multi-talented stars, with Shane Watson, Andre Russell and Jacques Kallis all playing their part for the men in green.

And with Watson on deck to lead the team, the youngster has the perfect mentor to help him take his game to new heights.

"The way 'Watto' goes about cricket is basically the way I want to play my cricket," he said. "I'm just trying to soak up as much knowledge from him throughout this Big Bash."