"My record throughout my career and even this year speaks for itself. I can't do anymore. That's the good thing personally, the ball is coming out well and I'm taking wickets" - Siddle © Getty

Peter Siddle has fallen in Australia's pecking order, being left out of the two Pakistan Tests to accommodate Michael Neser for the final pace-bowling berth. The veteran pacer, who featured in three of the five recently-concluded Ashes Tests, hasn't played a home Test in over three years, and has wrapped his head around the fact that it could potentially be the end of his international career that spanned 67 Tests and 20 ODIs. However, a content man "no matter what", Siddle iterated his desire to continue showing up domestically for Victoria as long as he was performing.

"You always retain a little bit of hope (but) it's probably dwindled a little bit in the last week or so," Siddle said after Victoria's six-run win over New South Wales in the Marsh One-Day Cup on Sunday (November 17). "They're going to have a look at Ness, he's obviously been around the squad. He's bowled well at the start of the season. I've obviously slipped down the pecking order a little bit as they sort of said. If that was the be all and end all, as soon as I hung up the phone (to selection chief Trevor Hohns) I would have hung it up altogether," said Siddle, who now has not just Neser to displace, but the quartet of Mitchell Starc, Pat Cummins, Josh Hazlewood and James Pattinson if he is to make a return.

"I love playing for Victoria. As long as I'm still doing well - as soon as it gets to the point when I'm not taking wickets and holding up someone's spot or they want to move me on, then so be it. If I can keep performing and keep standing up for the team and do all the right things, I'll keep trying to truck in. If it gets me another game for Australia (I'll be happy)... if it doesn't, 67 Tests and a few white-ball games, I've had a pretty good career. I'll be happy no matter what. As I've spoken about over the last couple of years, I just love playing the game, I'm enjoying it and if I just stay on the park and keep working hard, that's all I can do," said Siddle.

"My record throughout my career and even this year speaks for itself. I can't do anymore. That's the good thing personally, the ball is coming out well and I'm taking wickets."

Siddle's career could well have been over earlier when he wasn't picked during Australia's Ashes tour back in 2015. With an admirer in coach Justin Langer of his lion-heartedness and skill, he was recalled to the Test side subsequently for away series against Pakistan and England. He also made a brief return to the ODI side ahead of the World Cup 2019.

In the current season for Victoria, he's returned 12 wickets averaging 22 in the three Sheild games since the Ashes, while in the One-Day Cup, he returned 3-40 off 10 overs in his first game at the MCG.