SHUMOOKH displayed the famous Tulloch Lodge “bone and muscle” to score a thrilling win at Rosehill Gardens on Saturday.

The Group 2 $400,000 Golden Pendant (1400m) became a race in two from the top of the straight between Shumookh and Champagne Cuddles with the former fighting back after being headed to score a very tight finish.

This was an overdue feature race win for Shumookh who’s only previous win was on debut in a Canterbury midweek maiden before she ran a series of placings behind subsequent Group 1 winners D’Argento, Alizee and Shoals.

“All the form around Shumookh has been so strong, she’s such an honest mare and showed she has made that quantum leap this spring,’’ trainer Gai Waterhouse said. “This was a Group 1 field, a quality race and they all had their chance to beat her. She would not lie down.

“Just like Dad’s horses were ‘bone and muscle’, Shumookh wouldn’t give up.

“You want to be training horses that can dig deep like that.’’

Shumookh ($6) was taken straight to the front by Tim Clark and led for home only to be challenged and headed by Champagne Cuddles ($5 equal favourite) inside the final 200m before kicking back hard to win narrowly. Princess Posh ($9.50) was a half length away third.

Invincibella ($5 equal favourite) was hopelessly held up behind runners in the straight before finishing a close, luckless fourth.

Daysee Doom, winner of the Golden Pendant 12 months ago, finished last and will be spelled.

Clark, who rode a feature race double for Waterhouse and Bott after also winning on Thinkin’ Big in the Gloaming Stakes, said Champagne Cuddles had wrested the lead from Shumookh as the two mares went stride-for-stride to the finish.

“Champagne Cuddles loomed up to me and got at least a lip if not a head in front but to Shumookh’s credit she fought hard,’’ Clark said.

“Then in the last three strides Champagne Cuddles came at me again and I wasn’t quite sure.

“Shumookh deserved this win. She’s lightly raced and I’m sure he will get out to a mile (a1600m).

“The Myer Classic looks like an ideal target. She beat some really good mares today and some mares that have been competitive in that sort of race. I’m sure Gai and Adrian will map out a plan of where to go next but I’ll be going with her.”

Waterhouse said Shumookh will be aimed at the Group 1 Myer Classic (1600m) at Flemington on Derby Day. “We will look at races like the Angst Stakes and the Tristarc Stakes to get her to the Myer Classic,’’ Waterhouse said.