TENSION between opposing A-League grand final coaches Ernie Merrick and one-time protege Kevin Muscat have been underscored by plans for separate pre-match press conferences.

Football Federation Australia confirmed on Wednesday night that Newcastle Jets coach Merrick and Melbourne Victory mentor Kevin Muscat will speak separately on Friday.

It’s an intriguing subplot to Saturday’s highly anticipated A-League decider, which will draw a capacity 32,000 crowd at Newcastle’s McDonald Jones Stadium.

It’s the first time in A-League history that the respective coaches will not front a joint press conference the day before the grand final.

It’s understood that Merrick’s preference was to hold separate events, for fear a joint appearance could descend into a circus with tension clearly still simmering between Victory’s former title-winning captain and coach.

Merrick has not attended a Victory function since he was sacked in March 2011, with last week being the first time he has attended a match involving his former club when he hasn’t coached.

Asked whether he would ever return to the club that he coached for six years, winning two titles, Merrick said: “Absolutely, no problems. I just haven’t had the need to do it.

“I don’t want to be (the guy people point to and say) ‘see that guy up there, he used to be our coach’.”

Merrick shot a video for the club last year celebrating the 10-year anniversary of the famous 2007 title-winning side, at the request of a former media officer whom he’d had a good relationship with when he coached Victory. He did not attend the gala event however.

Asked if he would coach Victory again, Merrick, who boasts an impressive record with Wellington and now Newcastle and also coached Hong Kong, was coy.

“That’s a leading question. If I say yes, it’s like I’m looking for the job and looking to undermine Kevin Muscat,” he said.

“If I say no it’s like I don’t like the club any more.

“I’m damned if I answer that question either way.

“I had a great time there and I’ve moved on, I’ve had a national job (Hong Kong), the (Wellington) Phoenix and I’m at this club (Newcastle) and it’s been great.

“I hope I’ve changed as a person and innovator.”