The Chelsea boss teaches his side to “play like men” according to the German forward, who says he has improved immeasurably as a player since joining the west Londoners

Chelsea attacker Andre Schurrle believes Jose Mourinho has transformed his mentality and says the Portuguese’s will to win is rubbing off on him.

The Germany international was Mourinho’s first signing upon his return to Stamford Bridge in 2013 and has started four of the Blues’ seven Premier League encounters this term.

And Schurrle has praised his managers’ fierce hatred of defeat, claiming the former Real Madrid boss even instructs the players to commit fouls, and is confident he is developing the skills needed to become a world-class player.

“Jose Mourinho has taught me a different style of play and a different way of thinking to reach the world-class level someday,” Schurrle told SportBild.

“To him, finishing second is a failure. He doesn't know the word ‘losing’. That's how he holds his talk before the matches. His thinking is impressive - as impressive as the way he gets his message across.

“He challenges you to be robust on the pitch, to play like a man. To commit a foul. I feel much better since joining Chelsea and I have become much more confident.”

Unbeaten Chelsea currently sit top of the Premier League table, while Schurrle has bagged goals against Burnley, on the opening day of the season, and Manchester City.