Sam Newman will remain a part of The Footy Show, but says he has been “sacked” from the prime-time version of the show.

Channel Nine’s flagship AFL program will undergo significant changes this year after finding itself trailing Seven’s The Front Bar in the ratings last season.

Comedian Anthony Lehmann, former Carlton star Brendan Fevola and tennis champion Dylan Alcott are set to be the new faces of the long-running show, with WA’s Neroli Meadows reportedly being pursued for a major role.

While Newman is still contracted to the network, he is only set to appear on the Sunday version of the show, as well as a number of Footy Show-related special programs.

Speaking to the Herald Sun, Newman said it was a form of sacking.

“If logically I have been on a show called The Footy Showfor quarter of a century and The Footy Showis going on and I am not on it - it is just a tongue in cheek - if somebody wants to say I have been sacked, I am very happy to acknowledge that,” he said.

“I have said this plenty of times over the past 25 years, I am just filling in time until I am sacked and one day I will be right.

“And you know what, I have been proven right.”

His new role on the other programs is reportedly still being worked out.