The Brewers beefed up their outfield in recent weeks by trading for Christian Yelich and signing free agent Lorenzo Cain. To help make room for the new faces, Ryan Braun is willing to make a position change.
At a team event Sunday, Braun said he’ll happily work at first base and even second base during spring training.

"I’ll play wherever they want me to play. I’ll do the best I can," Braun said (via the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel). "We’ll communicate about it and I’m sure we’ll have plenty of dialogue as we go, see how things are going, see how our roster develops.

"Obviously in today’s game it’s that much more valuable when you have guys that can play multiple positions. And depending on injuries that might come up over the course of the year, the more positions guys are able to play obviously the better it is for the team."

Braun was the NL Rookie of the Year in 2007 as a third baseman but hasn't played anything but outfield since 2008. He previously played shortstop in college at Miami before moving to third during his junior season, so he’s familiar with the infield.

"Obviously I played the infield my whole life growing up, so it’s not like I’ve never taken ground balls," Braun said. "But certainly I’ll be a lot closer to the action than I used to be.

"I’ll put in as much work as I can and I’m sure I’ll have plenty of conversations with guys who have played first, guys who have transitioned back to the infield."

Brewers manager Craig Counsell said Cain will be the everyday center fielder, while Yelich will likely stay in left, where he won a Gold Glove in 2014. Domingo Santana had the best season of his career in 2017 playing 151 games in right field. Then Milwaukee also has Keon Broxton and Brett Phillips in the mix.

"Certainly we've got a lot of depth in the outfield," Counsell said. "I think there's ways to make it work. That's kind of the plan we'll put forth, and then we'll see what happens."