Multiple F1 title winning team principal and engineer Ross Brawn has revealed he could be tempted back to Formula 1, but only in a role at the top of sport and not with a team.

The celebrated engineer, who masterminded eighth world titles with Benetton, Ferrari and his own BrawnGP outfit, has been absent from the F1 paddock since 2013 when he quit Mercedes on the cusp of its dominant era over managerial disagreements with Toto Wolff and Niki Lauda.

Declaring at the time that he was content in retirement, Brawn revealed more about the acrimony behind the scenes with Mercedes prior to his exit in his new book Total Competition.

However, in a wide-ranging interview with Telegraph, Brawn feels enough time has elapsed that could see him tempted into a return.

BREAKING POINT: These F1 races really push drivers and cars to the limit

Even so, he dismissed the idea of returning in a team capacity and says he would be interested in a roll on the technical side of Formula 1

“I would never go back to a team. I did everything I can in a team, but I would be repeating myself. For sure, trying to help F1 become a better F1 would be appealing. It would be the one thing that could be interesting.”

Coming after Christian Horner last year raising the proposal to employ a respected 'independent' advisor to help determine technical regulations – in response to the persistent disagreement between teams over the direction of the sport -, Brawn feels he could be the one to implement a future-proof plan.

“If you ask me what F1 needs, it needs a plan; a three-year and a five-year plan. My view is we haven't got the ideal structure for creating that plan and implementing it over time.”