Just five days after winning the F1 world title, Nico Rosberg has announced his shock retirement from the sport.
The German began his F1 career in 2006 when he was announced as Williams' newest driver and after a decade at the top level, finally won his first World Championship this year.

"For me, it is a very special day because I'm going to receive the F1 trophy, which is going to be incredible, but also for another reason," said Rosberg.

"I want to take the opportunity to announce the end of my career in F1.

"I had a clear dream moment from the moment I was six years old.

"I wanted to become F1 world champion, that was very clear in my mind. I have achieved that ambition and I will remember it forever.

"On Sunday morning in Abu Dhabi, I knew that it could be my last race and that feeling cleared my head before the start.

"I wanted to enjoy every part of the experience, knowing it might be the last time and I took my decision on Monday evening.

"Now, I have climbed my mountain, I am at the peak, so this feels right.

"My strongest emotion right now is deep gratitude to everybody who supported me to make that dream happen."

Rosberg now leaves a seat open at Mercedes for 2017, where he had been a key member of the team since 2010.