The capital side sits a point clear atop the East after earning a draw on the road against the New England Revolution
Wayne Rooney helped D.C. United claim a dramatic late draw in MLS on Saturday, while the Philadelphia Union suffered a surprise loss.

Rooney's 90th-minute penalty saw D.C. secure a 1-1 draw against New England Revolution at Gillette Stadium.

New England goalkeeper Matt Turner was sent off in the 56th minute after a heavy challenge on Rooney, but the home side still took the lead through a Juan Agudelo header.

Editors' Picks
Who is Manchester City’s Young Player of the Season?
Are you sure, Leo? Barca may need to rethink stance on Valverde after Copa failure
Pogba & Hazard in, Bale out - Real Madrid's transfer plans this summer
Joao Felix in, Sane out: Manchester City's transfer plans this summer
However, Rooney stepped up to convert a late spot-kick as United took a one-point lead atop the Eastern Conference.

Philadelphia could have moved top, but suffered a 3-1 loss at home to the Portland Timbers.

Brian Fernandez scored a first-half brace, heading in an Andy Polo cross before completing a wonderful team move for his and the club's second.

Diego Valeri's brilliant curling strike from 20 yards sealed Portland's win after Kacper Przybylko had pulled a goal back for the Union.

The defeat ended Philadelphia's six-match unbeaten run.

Elsewhere, the New York Red Bulls stretched their unbeaten streak to four games by beating Cincinnati 2-0, though they left it late.

Kaku opened the scoring 78 minutes in with Omir Fernandez​ putting the match to bed in stoppage time.

Minnesota United edged the Houston Dynamo 1-0 thanks to a Romain Metanire strike and the Vancouver Whitecaps overcame Dallas 2-1 and the Chicago Fire drew 1-1 against New York City.

Article continues below
Nicolas Mezquida's late goal lifted the Colorado Rapids to a 3-2 victory over Columbus Crew in what proved to be a thrilling final match of the night.

Tommy Smith and Pedro Santos traded goals in the first half hour with Jonathan Lewis netting just before halftime to send the Rapids to the break with a 2-1 lead.

Gyasi Zardes​ pulled the Crew back level before the hour mark only for Mezquida​ to net the winner in the final minutes of regular time.