ROBERT Whittaker had his wrestling boots stolen a couple of days ago.

Unfortunately, while being interviewed for this story.

Australia’s inaugural UFC champ pausing midway through our phone conversation -- “sorry, somebody’s yelling something at me” -- before returning to say, hmmmm, his kicks had just been lifted from outside Australian Wrestling’s team gym.

“So sometimes,’’ he cackled, “it doesn’t matter if you’re the world champ or not”.

And just like that, the ballad of Bobby Knuckles rolls on.

Those lifted loafers the latest yarn in a hectic few months that’s seen this Sydney fighter earn both UFC gold and golden staph, win Commonwealth Games selection, give up a world title headliner, have his skin bubble and blister, even watch on, helpless, through 30 hours of labour that led to the birth of his third child, daughter Lilliana.

“So it’s been hectic, definitely,” Whittaker admits.

“But now, to be representing Australia at the Commonwealth Games ... I’m stoked.”

Only months after earning the nation’s first UFC title, Whittaker is set to again create history in April when he becomes the organisation’s first champ to compete at a Commonwealth Games.

More than simply wrestle on the Gold Coast, the 27-year-old also wants to then transition straight into his first UFC middleweight defence — pushing to fight Cuban Yoel Romero at UFC 225 in Chicago on June 9.

Which is no small thing.

Especially when only nine weeks ago, the striker was bedridden — and ruled out of his first title defence — with both a severe bout of chickenpox and life-threatening stomach infection.

So what chance now a gold medal and belt within the space of eight weeks?

“I’m definitely driven to go as far as I can,” Whittaker said of his Games tilt at 97kg.

“Obviously wrestling is a core component of MMA. And among UFC fighters, my take-down defence is considered quite high.

“But just like fighting, I’m under no illusions that I can lose.

“I’ll be up against guys who’ve been wrestling their entire lives.”

Still, Whittaker will have a wonderful uniqueness in his corner.

While wrestlers traditionally put their right foot forward in competition, Whittaker’s ‘lead’ leg is his left — the natural result of years competing in MMA as an orthodox striker.

Which has to throw up challenges for opponents, right?

“It’s funny you ask because I’ve been wondering the same thing,” he said. “Someone told me recently that wrestling against my stance would be like boxing against a southpaw.”

Whittaker also laughed off suggestions the Games tilt could impacting negatively on his first title defence.

“No chance,” he said. “What better way to prepare for Romero than with Commonwealth Games wrestling competition?”

Elsewhere, Whittaker has returned his fitness “to a training level” while also continuing his work with disadvantaged youths, teaching jiu jitsu classes at Smeaton Grange and spending every other minute with his new baby daughter.

Well that, and chasing up a new pair of wrestling boots.