ASTON Villa midfielder Robert Snodgrass is keeping his feet on the ground after some man-of-the-match performances – after his trainers were glued to his locker.

The Scotland star has helped the Villains to three consecutive wins recently, after he was snapped up on loan from West Ham.

The 30-year-old has got seven goals in 31 league appearances and provided an impressive 12 assists.

Under-fire West Ham owner David Sullivan forced Snodgrass out of the club when he revealed his family had criticised the arrival of Snodgrass and Jose Fonte, who has since left for China.

Sullivan said: “The manager said he wanted Fonte from Southampton and Snodgrass from Hull.

“My kids begged me not to sign them.”

Snodgrass remained dignified and has got his revenge with performances on the pitch, while Sullivan is being chased out of his own club by Hammers fans sick of his reign.

Snodgrass admitted – after joining Villa for a season-long loan – that he instantly felt worried about his £10million West Ham switch as Bilic had no idea where he played.

He said: “I was coming on against City and he said ‘Where do you want to play, on the left or right?’,

“I thought ‘You have just signed me and I have played on the right or behind the striker at Hull City all season’.

“That was my debut and alarm bells were ringing right away. I found it very strange and I realised from the off that it wasn’t going to happen.

“Every time I played I was on the left. I don’t know why he did it.

“I joined as Dimitri Payet left and maybe it was a case of ‘you can play there’.

“But I’d only filled in on the left on a couple of occasions.

“I hate that position but when you are Scottish you are brought up to play anywhere.

“It’s fine to play for one or two games but you need to play in your right position, especially on the back of scoring nine goals for Hull.

At that stage nobody had scored more goals for Hull or West Ham.

“The manager was under a lot of pressure and I later said that out of respect I didn’t want to go in and see him during that period.

“But when I eventually did speak to him I said I thought he would have known I wasn’t a left-midfielder and that he must have watched me after signing me for that type of money.

“His answer was basically that when people are confident they can play anywhere.

There are certain things that I can’t really say here.

“But once you look at it I ended up getting a lot of stick for something after joining at probably the wrong time.

“There were a lot of broken promises and a lot of dishonesty and I realised it wasn’t what I am about.

“I want to wear my heart on my sleeve and be loyal. What you see is what you get.

“Sometimes if that is not a two-way street then I don’t want to be part of it.”