ROBBIE Dolan’s ability to ride light has suddenly made him a popular “go-to jockey” with trainers after he guided Single Bullet to an impressive win at Royal Randwick on Saturday.

Single Bullet carried just 49kg after the star apprentice’s 3kg claim and the 12.5kg weight pull he had over Jungle Edge proved decisive in the Summer Sprint (1000m).

Dolan, the former Irish apprentice who gambled everything when he came to Australia with only a suitcase of belongings two years ago, also rode 49kg when he won on Gresham seven days earlier.

“No one really took any notice of how light I could ride until Mr (Chris) Waller put me on at 49kg last week,’’ Dolan said. “Now I am getting calls left, right and centre – if you need someone to ride light, give me a call.’’

Dolan, who ended the day with three winners, is the envy of his peers being a natural lightweight who doesn’t need to waste to ride even as light as 49kg.

“I can still have breakfast on race mornings,’’ he said. “I had some toast and an egg this morning. I’m probably only about 47kg wringing wet.’’

The Gary Portelli-trained Single Bullet ($2.80) settled third in the small field of five before letting loose in the straight, sprinting past gallant topweight Jungle Edge ($4.80) to win by 1¼ lengths with Frolic ($9) getting home well for third, more than two lengths away.

Marsupial was well backed into $2.90 but after stalking the field to the turn the couldn’t pass a rival runner in the straight.

Single Bullet only won one race in his first 14 starts but he has two Randwick 1000m wins in his last three attempts.

“I knew they were going a little bit quick but I was cruising, it was just a matter of pressing the button,’’ said Dolan, who also scored wins on Turnberry and Live And Free. “He was doing it ‘easy’ travelling into the straight then he let down very strong, pinned his ears back and hit the line. He was too good in the end.’’

Portelli was taking a short break with his family after a hectic week at the Magic Millions Sales but told The Sunday Telegraph that Single Bullet is racing in career best form.

“We stepped him out of his benchmark (Saturday) so it will be up to the handicapper and his ratings where we with Single Bullet next,’’ Portelli said.

“I might even look at taking him interstate because I have a feeling he could be a good straight-track horse. He likes to stalk his rivals and then hit the line.’’

Single Bullet’s third career win took his prizemoney earnings over $450,000 which has made him a very good moneyspinner for his syndicate of owners.

Jungle Edge had to shoulder 61.5kg after apprentice Chelsea Hall’s 3kg claim and the veteran gelding ran bravely for second.

“He tried really hard and when that horse (Single Bullet) came at him, he tried again,’’ Hall said. “The weight difference told today but he always tries his best. I was proud of him.’’