IF ANDY McGrath's first year as an AFL player was a buzz and blur – he played all bar two games, was a revelation off half-back and won the NAB AFL Rising Star award – then his second season at Essendon was more of a lesson.

There were some very good games, switching between midfield and defensive roles, but there was some frustrations, as McGrath worked his way through what he has described as a 'stop-start' campaign.

But the 2016 No.1 draft pick – Essendon's first ever top choice – is using the experiences from 2018 as he attacks his third pre-season.

"I learnt a lot of lessons about how the best players in the League go about it and why they're the best players," McGrath told AFL.com.au.

"I've put in a few steps in my training to hopefully counteract that and try to become one of those players in the future, but it was definitely a big learning year for me."

There are ways the 20-year-old is trying to implement those learnings, whether it's in his weights sessions, on the track with his running or any cross training.

"For me it's about continually trying to do more than players around me and pushing myself," he said.

The transition from a backline position into a midfield role last year had its challenges. McGrath had come to the Bombers having proven he could play in the midfield at under-18 level for the Sandringham Dragons, and he averaged 20 disposals a game.

"It is different [in the midfield]. I know I can play there, which is comforting in itself, but the midfield craft at AFL level is a whole other ball game," he said.

"It's great learning off the likes of Zach Merrett, Dyson Heppell, David Myers – they're all great at their craft and experts at that area. To put it simply, I've got a long way to go but it's great to learn off them.

"I know I'm not the strongest or the tallest person so I've got to find other ways to combat that so I think I'm finding my feet at the moment.

"This pre-season I've focused on taking the ball forward more and using my legs and agility to really break the lines and open up the defence."