STAR Richmond defender Alex Rance has signed a contract extension that will keep him at the club until the end of 2021.

The four-time All-Australian announced the move via a response to a question on Instagram, which was then shared on Twitter.

At the end of the two-year extension, Rance will be 31 years old. The defender is regarded as one of the best in recent years.

“It’s amazing, you talk very much about the connection that we have, and the fun that we have at this football club, and never have I spent a time in my life where I’ve enjoyed work so much,” he said.

“We enjoy each other’s company on and off the field, and to be able to go out and play in front of so many people is a pretty amazing privilege for us to have.”

Rance’s future has always been somewhat murky, as he has openly admitted he “constantly” thinks about walking away from footy.

He reportedly almost quit footy in 2015 after what he described at the time as a “conflict” between the game and his faith as a Jehovah’s Witness.

Richmond GM of football Neil Balme said he was delighted for both the club and Rance.

“Alex is first and foremost a wonderful person and leader at our football club, and an incredibly talented and competitive player too,” Balme said.

“We’re so pleased to have a person of his character at Richmond, who cares so much for his teammates, and is great support for Trent, along with Jack in leading our playing group.”

Rance has played 190 career matches since being taken with Pick 18 in the 2007 national draft.

The West Australian was the All-Australian captain in 2017, won the Tigers' best and fairest award in 2015 and came second for the award in the last two seasons. He is also a 2017 premiership player.