CHAMPION jockey Kerrin McEvoy will get a handle on some of his main spring carnival rides at Royal Randwick on Saturday.

McEvoy reunites with super sprinter Redzel, who begins his Everest defence in the Group 3 $160,000 Concorde Stakes (1000m) and the highly promising stayer, Youngstar in the Group 2 $200,000 Chelmsford Stakes (1400m).

He also takes the mount on two of trainer Chris Wallers’ emerging staying prospects, former Japanese galloper Satono Rasen in the Group 2 $250,000 Chelmsford Stakes (1600m) and the much-improved Another Dollar in the Heineken 3 Handicap (1400m).

Among McEvoy’s full book of nine rides are two for owner-breeder John Singleton — boom three-year-olds Miss Fabulass in the Group 2 $200,000 Furious Stakes (1200m) and unbeaten More Sundays in the ATC Heritage Society Handicap (1300m).

“It’s an exciting time of year with all the top-class horses coming back to the races,’’ McEvoy said. “I’ve got some good rides (Saturday), if they run well then it should set them up for the spring.’’

Redzel is being aimed at the $13 million The Everest (1200m) at Royal Randwick on October 13 and his two recent barrier trials have the six-year-old primed for the Concorde Stakes.

“I think Redzel is coming along really well, he has pleased us in both his trials,’’ McEvoy said. “The blinkers went back on for the second trial and he was very good, he felt nice and sharp.

“His work since has been right up to the mark so he has had the right build-up for this race.’’

Redzel, winner of $8.7 million in prizemoney, has topweight of 60.5kg and has to concede The Everest contender Invincible Star 4kg on Saturday.

“He is used to carrying big weights,’’ McEvoy said.

“We are confident he is there for a bold showing (Saturday).’’

The bookies view the Concorde Stakes as a race in two. TAB Fixed Odds has rated Redzel at $1.60 favourite, Invincible Star at $2.30 and the rest of the field at $11 or longer.

Queensland Oaks winner Youngstar is the $51 rank outsider for the Tramway Stakes but she has the class to sprint well fresh.

“She won the Oaks and then ran very well against the boys in the Derby (third to Dark Dream in the Queensland Derby),’’ McEvoy said.

“I thought she trialled nicely at Rosehill last Saturday, where she was running on well late. We will get a good guide on how she stacks up as a four-year-old mare (Saturday).

“We are hoping the Caulfield Cup will be the top of the mountain for her this spring.’’

Trainer Chris Waller has seven starters in the Chelmsford Stakes, including McEvoy’s mount Satono Rasen ($19), who showed promise in his initial Australian campaign last autumn. McEvoy has an agreement to ride Singleton-owned runners but he is more than happy to be on Miss Fabulass ($3.40 favourite) over last-start Silver Shadow Stakes winner Fiesta ($6) in the Furious Stakes.

Miss Fabulass, the regally-bred filly by English superhorse Frankel out of former champion filly Samantha Miss, scored a comfortable first-up win in a three-horse field at Canterbury earlier this month but McEvoy was very impressed with her effort.

“She is obviously very well bred and did it in nicely at Canterbury,’’ he said.

“There is plenty of upside to her and getting out to 1200m suits. I’m sure she will improve even further at 1400m and a mile (1600m).

“Fiesta was very good first-up and no doubt will run well again. She has run at a high level in her career and Miss Fabulass is only lightly raced, but she has so much potential.’’

Miss Fabulass is attempting to emulate Samantha Miss, who won the Furious Stakes a decade ago.

More Sundays ($2.15 favourite), a winner of his debut race at Geelong, also has impeccable bloodlines. The colt is by super sire Fastnet Rock out of Singleton’s former champion mare More Joyous, the winner of eight Group 1 races.

“I trialled More Sundays at Rosehill last week and he is a very impressive colt,’’ McEvoy said. “He won the trial quite easily and it will be interesting to see how he measures up against this field.’’

McEvoy’s other rides are Queensland Oaks runner-up Another Dollar ($12), Safe Landing ($7) in the TAB Highway (1400m), Raqeeq ($8) in the Schweppes Handicap (2000m) and Jake’s Hill ($16) in the National Jockeys’ Trust Handicap (1600m).

MAIN CONTENDERS BEGIN ASSAULT ON THE EVEREST
CAN Redzel prove he’s still the fastest sprinter in the land? Is Invincible Star the real deal? Will Vega Magic show he’s now the horse to beat? Or are Santa Ana Lane and Brave Smash about to make statements.

These five sprinters are already locked in to starts for the $13 million The TAB Everest and continue their preparations on Saturday for the world’s richest turf race.

Redzel and Invincible Star go head to head in a high-profile clash for the Group 3 $160,000 Concorde Stakes (1000m) at Royal Randwick.

At Caulfield, Vega Magic is favourite for the Group 1 $1 million Memsie Stakes (1400m), while Santa Ana Lane and Brave Smash are resuming in the Group 3 $150,000 The Heath (1100m).

There are also fringe Everest contenders sporting silks at the two venues with Pierata and Le Romain lining up in the Group 2 $200,000 Tramway Stakes (1400m), while Happy Clapper, Kementari and Showtime take on Vega Magic in the Memsie.

Trapeze Artist isn’t due to resume racing until next week but his ranking as the long-time TAB Fixed Odds favourite at $4.50 for The Everest (1200m) at Royal Randwick on October 13 could be challenged depending on tomorrow’s results.

Redzel and Vega Magic are currently equal second favourites at $6, Kementari is at $8 and Invincible Star is rated at $15.

“I would think Redzel needs to win the Concorde very easily to be installed as The Everest favourite,’’ TAB’s Glenn Munsie said. “The jury is probably out on him a little after his autumn campaign but he has looked his old self in his trials.’’

Munsie said the big mover in Everest betting could be Invincible Star.

“She has an opportunity to show she is not just a barrier trial star,’’ he said. “The Concorde does look a two-horse race and if Invincible Star beats Redzel convincingly she will firm right in for The Everest.

“Vega Magic is the one to beat in the Memsie but Kementari is a horse to watch. He is not even in The Everest yet but he is on the third line of betting. He needs to win very well and then get a slot.’’

Redzel won the Concorde Stakes brilliantly last year to earn an Everest slot before going on to win the inaugural running of the rich race during an unbeaten spring campaign.

Although Redzel won only once in four attempts last autumn, the gelding’s recent barrier trial efforts indicated to jockey Kerrin McEvoy the sprinter was still at the peak of his powers.

“Redzel is going really well, he is building nicely and it is exciting to be a part of The Everest again,’’ McEvoy said.

“I look back on last year with fond memories. I was very lucky to be the inaugural winner of The Everest and I still pinch myself thinking about it.’’

THE TAB EVEREST
Royal Randwick, October 13
$4.50 Trapeze Artist

$6 Redzel, Vega Magic

$8 Kementari, Nature Strip

$11 In her Time

$15 Invincible Star, Pierata, Santa Ana Lane, Shoals, US Navy Flag

$26+ others