FORMER Wallaby Luke Jones is returning to Melbourne after announcing a two year deal with the Rebels starting next season.

The 27-year-old, who can play lock or blindside flanker, played six seasons for the Rebels before spending the last two years in France with Bordeaux.

Jones has played three Tests for Australia and will now be eligible for selection at next year’s Rugby World Cup in Japan.

“Having observed the transformation of the club over the last year, it’s obvious the Rebels have taken massive steps forward on and off the field and I want to be a part of that,” Jones said.

“I’m not content with my rugby as yet and to continue my development as a player, the most important consideration for me was to find a world class rugby program that would help take my game to the next level.

“Speaking with David Wessels and a few of my former teammates and looking at the quality of the list at the Rebels, it’s going to be a great challenge for me week to week to earn my spot.

“I wanted to return to Australia and the fact that I get to return to Melbourne just makes it that much more satisfying.

“I’m really looking forward to reconnecting with old friends at the club and running out again onto AAMI Park.

“I have such fond memories of my previous time with the Rebels, but I want to add greater new memories too.”

Jones has played 74 Super Rugby games and joins Angus Cottrell, Richard Hardwick and Isi Naisarani as Rebels loose forward options.

“To be able to bring back to Melbourne a player of Luke’s quality is a reflection of the quality rugby program and momentum we are building at the Rebels,” Rebels GM of rugby Nick Ryan said.

“Luke left Melbourne as a very good player and his game has developed further over in Europe.

“He is versatile and athletic and he is one of us.

“He’s returning because he can see the potential in us and we want him back because we can see the potential in him.”