TRAINER Bjorn Baker is preparing to produce two of the best-bred horses in Australian racing this week as his stable edges closer to a century of wins this season.

Baker has trained 97 winners in 2017-18 and has three good chances at Gosford on Tuesday — Bel’s Boy, Smartypy and Horn.

But at Canterbury Park on Wednesday, Baker is saddling up first-starter Nordics, the high-profile juvenile colt by Triple Crown winner Dundeel out of former champion filly Miss Finland, herself a five-time Group 1 winner including the 2006 Golden Slipper and Victoria Oaks.

Baker is also likely to accept for the Hawkesbury provincials on Thursday with The Greatest, the well-named four-year-old gelding by Winx’s sire, Street Cry, out of the three-time Group 1 winner Samantha Miss, also a Victoria Oaks (2008) winner.

COROWA
BEST BET: TOO HOT TO Handle (Race 7, No. 1)

Trained by Kate Goodrich, he won his maiden like a good horse at Geelong last start, unleashing from near last on the turn and sweeping past his rivals to win with authority. Drawn a better barrier here and should be able to settle closer. Promising type and can win again.

NEXT BEST: COLLIS (Race 2, No. 10)

Drifted well back early before finishing strongly to place at both her Wodonga starts. Emerging filly who will appreciate the extra distance. This is a winnable race.

Nordics, a $900,000 Easter Yearling Sale purchase, has drawn barrier 11 for his long-awaited race debut. He has impressed in two barrier trials, including a Randwick 910m heat win last week.

“I do like the horse and I know he is going to get better in time,’’ Baker said.

“He was a yearling that caught my eye at the sale last year. You dream about getting one so well-bred and I was lucky enough to pick up the colt to train.

“His trials have been good and I’m looking forward to seeing what he can do at the races.’’

The Greatest, bred and owned by John Singleton, is a rising five-year-old with only two previous race starts, winning on debut at Nowra before a second at Goulburn last summer.

“He’s a nice horse and went well at his two runs for me,’’ Baker said. “He’s ready to resume and Hawkesbury does look a suitable race for him.’’

Baker could pass the 100-win barrier for the third successive season as early as today’s Gosford meeting.

“If we get the 100 winners, it will be a pleasing result as we have had a good year money-wise and had our share of stakes winners,’’ Baker said.

“But it has also been a year of what could have been with a few near misses at Group 1 level with Champagne Cuddles and Goodfella’s second in the Magic Millions.’’

Baker starts the Gosford meeting with Bel’s Boy resuming in the Class 1 Handicap (1000m).

Bel’s Boy won his debut at Orange then was second in a Class 1 at Bathurst at his only two starts back in March, but has been tuned up for his return with two barrier trials in recent weeks.

“He is a horse I have always had time for and I do think he is better than just a country horse so it will be interesting to see how he goes,’’ Baker said.

The speedy Smartypy, placed at her only two starts at Kembla Grange earlier in the season, is also first-up in the Maiden Plate (1000m).

“She trialled particularly well,’’ Baker said of Smartypy’s recent Rosehill trial effort.

“She has always shown plenty of speed but is relaxing much better now so I’m sure she will be stronger through the line.’’

Horn was in the market at his debut but was trapped three-wide throughout and his sixth behind Thinkin’ Big at Canterbury can be forgiven. Baker expects Horn to run a very competitive race in the 2YO Maiden Plate (1100m).

“Horn was caught deep at Canterbury and it told,’’ Baker said. “If he runs up to his trials then he must be a chance.’’

COROWA
CLOCKWISE IS THE ONLY HURDLE FACING COLLIS
COLLIS only has to handle the clockwise-way of going to break her maiden at Corowa on Tuesday, according to leading Riverina jockey Nick Souquet.

“She has had two starts at Wodonga and run third in both,’’ Souquet said.

“I rode her last start and she hit the line nicely. She has got a bit of upside.’’

Collis, a three-year-old filly by Skilled, is among the main chances in the Maiden Plate (1300m).

Corowa is a track where Souquet has had a lot of success and the jockey has five good rides at Tuesday’s meeting.

They include last-start winners Grey Strike in the Benchmark 65 Handicap (1000m) and It’s Business Time in the Class 2 Handicap (1000m).

Grey Strike, with Souquet in the saddle, resumed with an easy win over the Corowa 1000m trip last month and he has drawn the inside barrier on Tuesday.

“I rode him first-up and he was impressive,’’ Souquet said.

“There might not have been too much behind him and this is a tougher grade, but he will acquit himself very well.’’

It’s Business Time was a runaway winner at Narrandera last start and should race well again on Tuesday despite drawing wide.

Ruark was scratched from the Wangaratta meeting on Monday and looks well placed in the Benchmark 55 Handicap (1300m).

Souquet said there were excuses for Ruark first-up when he ran on for second place behind Magnarock at Albury.

“We got a bit of a squeeze at the start and they went pretty quick,’’ Souquet said. “But from the good barrier, he will either lead or be right on the pace, and I think he will be pretty hard to catch.’’

Souquet’s other Corowa mount is Black Roe, who resumes in the opener, the Maiden Handicap (1000m).

INSIDE MAIL WITH RAY THOMAS
RACE 1
Kuiper Belt toyed with his rivals at Hawkesbury, winning by more than six lengths over 2000m. With apprentice Robbie Dolan’s 3kg, Kuiper Belt meets Antonio’s Pride on the same weight terms as at Hawkesbury, when the latter was seven lengths away in third. Corinth didn’t handle the heavy last start.

BET: KUIPER BELT TO WIN.
RACE 2
Five of the eight runners come out of the Kentucky Diva race at Hawkesbury. Of this group, the Chris Waller-trained duo of Nautibernie was third and Night Breaker second. Nautibernie has been placed in four successive races and was unlucky not to finish closer last start as he was angling for a run while Night Breaker was full of momentum out wide. Tavisfaction and Westrock are chances.

BET: NAUTIBERNIE TO WIN, BOX TRIFECTA — 1, 2, 4, 8.
RACE 3
Eleazar has speed to negate the outside draw: he will either cross to lead or sit outside the leader and prove too good. His recent Rosehill trial win was impressive. Gundy thrashed subsequent winner Denesc at Moruya, Traumatised is lightly raced but has ability and Miss Celebration was a little green but won well on debut at Dubbo.

BET: ELEAZAR TO WIN.
RACE 4
Time Of Glory and The Bald Eagle met on the Kensington track last month, filling the placings behind runaway winner Foreign Territory. Time Of Glory was third but meets The Bald Eagle 2kg better on Tuesday. Time Of Glory has raced since, finishing a luckless third at Newcastle after being chopped out for a run at the top of the straight. Uber Lux and Resonare have had chances but continue to race well.

BET: QUINELLA 1, 2.
RACE 5
Smartypy tended to go out too hard and was run down late when third at her only two starts over the Kembla 1000m last spring. She is resuming off a long spell on Tuesday and she has been more settled in her trials. Wimlah is a nicely bred juvenile taking on older horses at her debut but she has shown ability in her trials. Improving Hubble hit the line at Newcastle.

BET: SMARTYPY TO WIN; SAVER ON WIMLAH.
RACE 6
I’m taking Dream Child on trust. She was placed in three of her five starts at her debut preparation, including at Warwick Farm and Rosehill. Her recent trial was inconclusive as she was locked away inside runners. Horn was backed on debut at Canterbury but a wide run ruined his chances. First starter Nuclear Burst chased home Bare Naked Lady in a recent Wyong trial and they gapped the rest. In Lighten Me didn’t handle the heavy track at Warwick Farm but she ran well at her previous start here.

BET: DREAM CHILD TO WIN; BOX TRIFECTA — 2, 6, 10, 11.
RACE 7
Invincible Lad struck a heavy track first-up so forgive his unplaced Canterbury effort. Lucand Lad showed speed and beat Invincible Lad by nearly five lengths in a Randwick trial last month and is set to run a good race on debut. Tell No Tales was third to Golden Slipper winner Estijaab and three-time city winner Dio D’Oro on debut in January and has obvious ability. Pellicle is an each-way chance.

BET: BOX TRIFECTA — 3, 4, 12, 13.
RACE 8
Dynamic Dynasty opened up a 10-length lead mid-race and kept going to score by four lengths at Scone over 1600m. He had run second to the smart Bocelli at Goulburn before that. Barnabas ran on for third to Asterius at Kembla and the winner has since scored at Rosehill in Saturday class. Muse is capable.

BET: DYNAMIC DYNASTY TO WIN; SAVER EACH WAY ON MUSE.
RACE 9
Americana Magic is a winner at Gosford and his past two starts have been strong pointers for Tuesday — easily winning at Wyong then a narrow Newcastle loss. Connoisseur can improve, The Patrician is over the odds and Ebenos will be charging home.

BET: BOX TRIFECTA — 1, 2, 3, 10.