Kimi Raikkonen's second stint with Ferrari has been long on frustration and short on victories.

That finally changed at the US Grand Prix where the Finnish driver earned his first win in five years, while a good enough day from Ferrari and a late block from Red Bull's Max Verstappen denied Mercedes' Lewis Hamilton a fifth career Formula One championship.

The 2008 world champion with Ferrari, Raikkonen hadn't won after his return to the team in 2014 while teammate Sebastian Vettel fought Hamilton for the title the past two seasons.

Prior to Sunday Raikkonen's most previous win had been with Lotus at the season-opening Australian Grand Prix in 2013.

Raikkonen seldom cracks a smile or shows much emotion but he shouted an expletive on the team radio after the final lap.

He was then his typical stoic self after a brief victory celebration at the podium.

"It's nice to win. It doesn't change my life," Raikkonen said. "The biggest difference is how people look (at) you."

For Hamilton, a rare defeat in Austin - where he had won the past four races -means his fight with Vettel for the title continues to next weekend at the Mexican Grand Prix.

Hamilton finished third and Vettel was fourth to stretch Hamilton's championship lead 70 points with three races left.

Hamilton is trying to match Argentina's Juan Manuel Fangio, whose five championships in the 1950s rank second, behind only Germany's Michael Schumacher's seven.

"The key to me was to make sure I finished ahead of Seb. I don't care when you win a championship, just that you win," Hamilton said.

Verstappen started 18th after damaging his car in qualifying and worked his way through the field to finish second, his fourth podium finish in six races.

Vettel started fifth and a bump with Red Bull's Daniel Ricciardo caused the German to spin and drop him to ninth before he recovered. The Australian's race was over on lap 11 due to engine failure.

Raikkonen will be leaving Ferrari to join Sauber after this season, moving from car capable of winning to a team that is rarely competitive.

"I'm very happy where I'm going. I won the championship with (Ferrari)," Raikkonen said. "As a driver I want different challenges."

Meanwhile, Force India's Esteban Ocon and Haas driver Kevin Magnussen were disqualified after stewards found they had broken fuel regulations.

That meant Sergio Perez moved up to eighth, Brendon Hartley to ninth and Marcus Ericsson taking the final point in 10th.