The South African pacer had scalped 25 wickets in 12 matches this season at an average of 14.72 © AFP

Delhi Capitals pacer and the leading wicket-taker in IPL 2019 thus far, Kagiso Rabada, has been ruled out of the remainder of the season with a back niggle. Cricket South Africa have advised the pacer to return home as a precautionary measure and rest up ahead of the World Cup that begins May 30.

Rabada currently holds the Purple Cap, having taken 25 wickets in 12 matches so far. The 23-year-old complained of back pain in DC's game against the Royal Challengers Bangalore at home and subsequently sat out of the away game to Chennai Super Kings. However, following scans, CSA has advised their premier pacer to head home. He will miss Delhi's final league game against Rajasthan Royals and their playoff game(s).

"It is indeed very hard for me to leave the Delhi Capitals at this stage of the tournament," Rabada said. "But with the World Cup just a month away, a collective decision has been made for me in this regard. It's been a tremendous season for me with the Delhi Capitals, both on and off the field, and I truly believe that our team can win the trophy."

Rabada is another addition to South Africa's growing list of injury concerns. Earlier, Dale Steyn was ruled out with a shoulder injury after a brief, two-match appearance for the RCB, while Lungi Ngidi (side strain) and Anrich Nortje (shoulder) had to withdraw even before the season began.

South Africa take on hosts England in the tournament opener at the Kennington Oval in London.