SAMU Kerevi has saluted the Reds’ call to revert to maroon jerseys full-time next season because it will connect the team with more people across Queensland.

The Reds centre added to the buzz at Friday’s jersey launch by revealing he hoped to play again in two weeks to contend for Wallabies’ selection on next month’s tour of Europe.

He returned to light training last week with Brisbane City and is squeezing a chunk of Play-Doh-style compound religiously with his left hand to build strength after tricky wrist tendon surgery.

Should fifth-placed City beat the NSW Country Eagles in Camden on Sunday, Kerevi is hopeful of being ready for the October 20-21 semi-finals should his team kick on.

“It sucks being on the sideline and I get itchy-footed just watching someone else in my position,” Kerevi said.

“I want to get back playing in the NRC finals and who knows about the tour from there.

“I have a lot of faith in the Wallabies bouncing back after a rollercoaster season and you always want to be part of it.”

If the 21-Test Kerevi does get some footy in his legs after 14 weeks out since bicep and wrist tendon surgery, his power running would be a huge asset starting with Wales in Cardiff on November 11.

Kerevi has his Reds’ player number, 1270, tattooed on his left shoulder as an extra expression of his state passion.

“The maroon jersey is part of the history we play with but it’s time for us, as a squad, to put our own legacy to it,” Kerevi said of the 2019 season.

“To understand the history is one of those little per-centers that can drive us in hard times in games and I think it will touch more people across the state.”

The Reds have worn red for the past 11 seasons since tinkering with a long history in maroon.

It was 2017 coach Nick Stiles who pulled the one-off masterstroke of old-school maroon for a smash-up derby against the NSW and new coach Brad Thorn pushed for a full-time return.

“When you think about representing sport in Queensland, you think about maroon,” Thorn said.

Reds great Chris Latham endorsed the switch.

“I liked the best of the red jerseys but I’m a traditionalist and maroon embodies Queensland, it is Queensland,” Latham said.

“The younger generation want flashy colours and most commercial departments do too but this is an awesome decision to go with our history.”