PORT Adelaide key defender Dougal Howard has re-signed with the Power until the end of 2022.

The 22-year-old had another 12 months to run on his contract, but has put to pen to paper on a three-year extension.

"I have loved being in Adelaide and have some really good friends here so I see it as home," Howard said.

"I’ve got some good friends who have also signed on at the club for an extended amount of years and I think the club is heading in the right direction.

"We’ve got the personnel and we’re bringing in some new guys this year to do some really good things, and I feel really positive about us having some real success this year and going forward.

"The length of my contract means I don’t need to worry about it for a while now and I can just focus on improving myself as a player and ensuring I am playing good footy."

Howard, who stands 199cm, has played 30 games for the Power, including 20 last season.

He was drafted to the club as a ruckman/forward and played six games in 2016 before tearing his ACL in the round 13 loss to Fremantle.

When he returned, Howard was moved to defence and has excelled with his speed, aggression and ability to spoil the ball.

He led the League in one-percenters last season and holds the competition record for spoils in a single game, with 22.

The Wagga Wagga product was the No.56 overall selection of the 2014 NAB AFL Draft.