PHIL Gould has lead the chorus for a review of the judiciary system following the Billy Slater shoulder charge furore.

Slater is free to play in the grand final after successfully fighting the charge for a hit on Sosaia Feki, but Gould has called for a shake up of the system.

“I think the whole thing needs to be re-thought and blown up, and the whole points system done again,” Gould said on his weekly Six Tackles With Gus podcast.

“I just think we penalise players and suspend players too readily under this system.

“It was always going to come down to a day where one of these tackles was going to cost someone an Origin match or a grand final ... that would be unthinkable.”

Slater came close to missing the last game of his career because of the hit on Feki, however Gould stressed it should never have come to that.

“When the shoulder charge stuff was first brought in, the chair of the judiciary at that time was Judge Paul Conlon, who’s an extremely brilliant man,” Gould said.

“He said you don’t need a shoulder charge rule, it’s protected under the dangerous contact rules. If you don’t like the contact, then make a charge and we’ll make a decision as a jury.

“To give it a shoulder charge interpretation that will suit all instances where this happens on the field, he said it’s impossible. You’re going to make a rod for your own back, which eventually happened.”

Gould has been a long time advocate of adjusting the charges based on the importance of the game.

Missing a regular season game is not the same as missing an Origin game or a grand final in Gould’s eyes.

“If a player gets charged with a couple of grade one offences a few weeks out from Origin selection, two early pleas adds up to a game out... Origin is much bigger than a normal club game,” Gould said.

“I go back to horse racing. If a jockey gets a suspension, he can get a stay of proceedings until the big race is run on the weekend.

“He can get the suspension delayed a couple of weeks while they go through legal process. There’s no option to do that (in rugby league).”