HAPPY Clapper will be given his chance to defend his Group 1 $1 million Epsom Handicap title later this month.

Trainer Pat Webster revealed he was reluctant to start Happy Clapper at Caulfield again after his stable star’s unplaced effort in the Memsie Stakes last week and would bring the gelding back to Sydney after he contested the Makybe Diva Stakes at Flemington on September 14.

“The plan is to run Happy Clapper in the Epsom (September 29) and then the Craven Plate (October 13) at Randwick,’’ Webster said. “We can then look at sending him to Melbourne again for the Kennedy Mile and Emirates Stakes at Flemington during the Cup Carnival.’’

Happy Clapper won the Epsom and Doncaster Mile double last season, shouldering 57kg in both races. It is expected Happy Clapper will receive about 60kg in the Epsom later this month.

No horse has carried more than 57kg to win an Epsom since Super Impose won carrying 61kg to a famous triumph in 1991.

PIERATA ON RIGHT TRACK
TRAINER Greg Hickman has revealed Pierata has not missed any work despite a setback which cost the talented four-year-old a start in the Tramway Stakes last weekend.

Hickman is also setting his sights on an Epsom spot with Pierata to start next week in the Group 3 Bill Ritchie Handicap (1400m) at Royal Randwick.

But with Kementari now out of the $13 million The TAB Everest mix, there are still two slots to fill for the world’s richest turf race on October 13, putting Pierata back in the frame, particularly if he wins the Bill Ritchie brilliantly.

HAYES EYES SYDNEY RICHES
HALL of Fame trainer David Hayes has applied for 30 boxes at Royal Randwick to chase the superior prizemoney in Sydney racing.

Hayes said the lack of midweek Melbourne meetings during spring has prompted his decision to expand his Sydney stable presence. Sydney racing has a regular midweek program and now boast minimum prizemoney of $50,000 per race.

“We’re hoping to get a 30-horse [stable] because racing in NSW is booming at the moment,” Hayes told racing.com.

“And I’m finding it particularly frustrating that we’re not having mid-week racing for horses going through the grades, at city class (in Victoria). At the moment, we’re totally devoid (of city racing) and its advantage NSW trainers, because they can go through the grades, get city status, and we’re running at Ballarat for half the stake money and not getting city status.’’

ATC CHAIRMAN STEPS DOWN
RACING NSW chief executive Peter V’landys has paid tribute to the contribution outgoing Australian Turf Club chairman Laurie Macri has made to Sydney racing.

Macri made the surprise announcement yesterday of his decision to retire and revealed he had convened a special meeting of the board of directors next Tuesday to elect a new chair and vice-chair.

“Laurie is one of the best ATC chairmen I’ve worked with, his can-do attitude has paid enormous dividends for the ATC,’’ V’landys said. “I don’t think people realise the enormous contribution Laurie has made for the ATC and Sydney racing. I just hope the (racing) industry recognise that we wouldn’t be in this position without him.’’

Macri said he had informed the ATC board and club members of his decision to retire.

“It has been a great privilege to serve two four-year terms as an independent director of ATC, including the past two years as chairman,’’ Macri said.

“But now is the right time for succession planning and a transition to allow others to lead the ATC. I will remain as a director for as long as I am required before my term expires later this year.’’

Macri’s decision to step down ushers in a new era at the ATC, with long-time Sydney Cricket Ground Trust boss Jamie Barkley joining the club as chief executive next month.

Macri made special mention of former ATC chairmen John Cornish and Michael Crismale for their support, while describing the club’s management team as “at least the equal of anywhere in Australian racing and perhaps the world’’.

Macri also singled out Racing NSW chairman Russell Balding and V’landys for their leadership and management.

WORTH THE WEIGHT
DON’T Give A Damn, burdened with 64kg, will need to set a modern-day weight-carrying record for Sydney racing in the Schweppes Handicap at Rosehill Gardens tomorrow.

Racing And Sports data reveals that since 1980 only two horses have won carrying 64kg – Anthems at Rosehill in 1997 and Stanzaic at Randwick in 2000.

COX IN TUNE WITH THE KOSCIUSZKO
BRAD Cox, the country music star who was raised in Jindabyne, has been so inspired by the inaugural running of the $1.3 million The Kosciuszko on Everest Day he has written a song about the race and what it means to regional NSW to help raise funds for the drought relief.

TAB has reached out to Cox and is now sponsoring the singer’s current tour of NSW country areas. For every download of Cox’s song “The Kosciuszko”, TAB will donate 100 per cent towards the drought relief charity, Rural Aid. In addition, for every Kosciuszko ticket sold between now and September 13, TAB will donate $1 to the charity.

“It’s great to be involved with something that means so much to the country. Racing is at the heart of a lot of these communities that are doing it tough so for TAB and Racing NSW to bring something like the Kosciuszko to life and to give back to drought relief is really special,” said Cox, winner of the prestigious Star Maker of the Year award at the Tamworth Country Music Festival earlier this year.

“Coming from ‘Kozzi’, I wanted to represent the town and add some real energy to it. I’m looking forward to playing at Randwick on TAB Everest Day and showing the big smoke how the country does it.”