PALMERSTON big man Matthew Dennis knows his side can do some serious damage in the NTFL finals.

But getting there is the main task in front of his side as the Christmas break in the 2018-19 NTFL season looms large.

Out of the finals since 2009-10, the Magpies are sixth on the Premier League ladder but only 20 percentage points behind fifth-placed St Mary’s.

Today’s clash against fourth-placed Waratah at Gardens Oval provides another litmus test for a Magpie side fresh from an upset win over the free flowing Darwin Buffaloes.

A win today and Palmerston could be in the top five with seven games remaining after the Christmas break, placing them in a lofty position after years in the doldrums.

Dennis, a colossus in the ruck for the Magpies since their opening round win over Tahs, wants another big effort from his teammates today.

“A big second half of the season will get us into the finals and we’re definitely playing well enough to get there,’’ he told the Sunday Territorian.

“We played some really good running football against the Buffaloes without Alwyn Davey and Aaron Lonergan and that says a lot for the club as a whole.

“It hasn’t been an easy road for us, 10 games into the season we’ve played the top three sides twice, which means we should have a slightly easier run from now on.’’

Dennis finally convinced Bundoora teammate Josh Grabowski to make the trek north on Saturday and Magpie officials were mightily impressed by his performance.

“I’ve been trying to get him up here for four years and what you saw on Saturday night is what he is capable of,’’ a beaming Dennis said.

And his own form? “The sore knee is responding pretty well to treatment and I’m contributing something to the team, that’s all I’m concerned about.’’