PADDY McCartin has revealed that this time last year he feared his career could be over.

The 22-year-old St Kilda forward has played 12 games this year – the most of any season since he was drafted at the end of 2014 – having played just five games in 2017 after repeated head knocks.

McCartin, who has suffered seven concussions since the start of 2014, opened up about the “tough time” he endured as his playing future hung in the balance following a sickening head knock in the VFL last June.

He did not play again in 2017 after that concussion.

“This time last year was a pretty tough time,” McCartin said.

“I didn’t even really know if I was going to be playing again, to be honest. There was a lot of water to go under the bridge before I even pulled the boots on again, really.”

The forward said he had “a lot of scans” and that it was the impression he got from doctors rather than himself that he was in danger of never taking the field again.

“There was a bit of stuff I had to do – a lot of scans and things I had to do – and early on, it was looking a bit bleak,” he said.

“But I’ve been through a lot of stuff and got it all ticked off. I’ve played a lot of footy this year and it’s been brilliant.”

Twelve months on, McCartin has played a dozen games and said the difference in his game and his enjoyment of it could not be greater.

“From where I am now to this time last year is a pretty stark difference,” he said.

“To say I’m enjoying my footy would be an understatement – I’m absolutely loving it. The future wasn’t probably looking too bright to be honest but now it’s fantastic and I’m really enjoying playing.”

He now wears a helmet after what he described as an ultimatum from Saints coach Alan Richardson which he said took some getting used to.

McCartin also suffers from Type 1 diabetes and said his recent management of it was the best he had ever enjoyed since he was diagnosed 14 years ago.

And it is continuity in his game that he credits with providing the confidence that has seen him boot four goals in St Kilda’s consecutive wins over Gold Coast and Melbourne in recent weeks.

“The more you play, the more confident you get,” he explained.

“Probably in the last five or six weeks, there hasn’t been a lot of change to the team in front of the ball which is probably something that not everyone thinks about, but it has a fair impact. You play with five or six guys continuously over a period of time and you get to know exactly what you’re doing.”

The heavily-scrutinised 2014 No.1 draft pick also acknowledged commentary surrounding his career progression but said he largely ignored it and is determined to “push forward” and keep developing his game as the Saints play with “nothing to lose”.

“I know how it works. It doesn’t really phase me at all to be honest,” he said.

“I’m playing and they’re commentating – that’s their job and I’ve got my job.

“At the moment we’re definitely not where we want to be (as a team), so the scrutiny gets turn up again. I’ve even found the last two weeks we’ve won and the heat comes off a little bit more and everyone’s going great now. It goes in swings and roundabouts.

“I’m just really happy to be playing as much footy as I can.

“I’m really keen to push forward this year and hopefully the last eight rounds of the year we can take some scalps, because we haven’t really got anything to lose. We’ll just go out there and give it a crack.”