Elyse Villani says Australia's middle-order batters are committed to being patient and are happy to park their egos after their in-form top-order caused some severe cases of pad rash over the last month.

In six T20Is against New Zealand and Pakistan, Australia lost just 17 wickets thanks largely to in-form opener Alyssa Healy and backed up by fellow opener Beth Mooney, first drop Ashleigh Gardner and the big-hitting Villani.

Australia have eight players who open for their Rebel WBBL clubs in their squad of 15 for World T20 in the Caribbean – a welcome problem for the coaches and selectors, but one that unavoidably means players will bat lower down the order than they'd prefer, and – all things going to plan – spend less time in the middle.

For Villani, who has taken her opportunities when they've come her way during the past month, posting scores of 50no, 24no and 18no, the message has been simple.

"I feel I've had a quiet tour to be honest, our top order did the job in the Pakistan series in Malaysia and I got a bit of pad rash on the side," Villani said ahead of Australia's departure for Guyana in Sunday.

"I think I'm in a pretty good place, all the batters in a good space and the squad's looking really strong at the moment, so I think it's about just staying patient and waiting for the opportunities that will come along in the tournament and not getting too antsy on the sidelines."

Play VideoUnfinished business for two years: Mott
Villani's words are indicative of Australia's new approach to T20 cricket that's led their resurgence in the format in 2018.

To make the most of the firepower in their squad, they've loaded the top-order with their most powerful batters, shifting the likes of Meg Lanning, who has scored more T20 runs than any other Australian woman, and Ellyse Perry, the world's top-ranked ODI batter, into the middle-order alongside the experienced Rachael Haynes.

"In T20s in particular in the last 12 months we've really realised it's about the role you play and taking the ego out of it and making sure whatever role you've been given in the team, that's what you're committing to 100 per cent," Villani said.

"We've probably got eight people in the team who'd love to open the batting but it's a job for two people and they've been doing it exceptionally well.

"The other roles we've been given are really important and we know at times during the tournament the buck's going to fall to us at some stage, so it's about remaining patient and making sure we're ready to go."

That said, Australia will be eager to make sure all their batters have adjusted to the conditions in Guyana by the time Friday's opening game against Pakistan rolls around, with the low and slow wickets a change from the batting friendly decks they faced at home against New Zealand and away against India earlier this year.

Australia will play a warm-up match against South Africa at Guyana's Providence Stadium on Tuesday from 4pm local time (Wednesday 7am), with live scores available on cricket.com.au and the CA Live app.

Once the tournament proper gets underway, Fox Sports will broadcast every match of the Women's World T20, while the Nine Network will televise Australia's matches.