It has been a tough year on the sidelines for Billings who also missed out on a World Cup berth owing to a shoulder injury. © Getty

England batsman Sam Billings has taken a break to refresh and decided to withdraw from all franchise cricket including IPL this winter. The 28-year-old will use the time to get ready to turn up for Kent in the upcoming domestic season.

Billings wasn't picked in England's white-ball squads for the tour of South Africa. He was the T20I vice-captain on the tour of New Zealand recently but failed to impress with only 34 runs across five innings. And with the return of rested players, Billings missed out once again.

"All the best to the lads heading to South Africa," Billings wrote on Twitter. "Huge amount of depth esp [sic] in the white ball game atm. Of course disappointed not to be involved but wish the boys all the best. Will be working hard to get back in the mix (in all formats) in the near future!

"On a personal level, I have chosen to pull out of any franchise cricket this winter as well to focus/freshen up for a big year with @kentCricket. Very fortunate to have played all over the last few years & a break from the game to refresh I feel is the best decision."

It has been a tough year on the sidelines for Billings who also missed out on a World Cup berth owing to a shoulder injury. He will next be available for Kent and try and stake a claim in England squads across all formats.